Exit trails out of bedding.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

treeroot
500 Club

Exit trails out of bedding.

Unread postby treeroot » Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:10 pm

Once you locate a bed how are you guys determining which exit trails to hunt? Do you have a way to narrow it down?

I seem to be finding beds that have multiple exits and food sources in two or more directions.

pfrizelleSC

Re: Exit trails out of bedding.

Unread postby pfrizelleSC » Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:28 pm

Sometimes you just have to throw a stand at it
Jdw
500 Club

Unread postby Jdw » Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:54 pm

An observation sit, hot sign on a certain trail, historical observations of the area, or a best guess based on the best food sources or doe bedding, depending on time of year.
It would be a good idea to take hunting pressure into account also.
treeroot
500 Club

Unread postby treeroot » Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:19 pm

This is a situation I found myself in this year. This buck bedded here almost daily. I used the observation stand in the am to watch him come in to bed. I hit the different stand sites off known exit trails. But 50% of the time he would exit a different direction than I was set up for. He did skate me 40-80 yards a few times. I'm trying to figure out an angle to choose his exit better for next season.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:40 am

treeroot wrote:This is a situation I found myself in this year. This buck bedded here almost daily. I used the observation stand in the am to watch him come in to bed. I hit the different stand sites off known exit trails. But 50% of the time he would exit a different direction than I was set up for. He did skate me 40-80 yards a few times. I'm trying to figure out an angle to choose his exit better for next season.

I keep journals of sitings for situations like that. Either way, thats the cat and mouse game w big bucks. Having a couple experiences w him is huge and the fact you got in and out of there well enough to hunt again is huge! Thats just bowhunting and just need to make an adjustment next time in those spots. Think back and or look up the wind direction those days and put the puzzle together. Look at was he wind to face or tail winding, scout in those directions and figure out why he went that way. The timing of the season should help narrow those answers down.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:19 am

Entering and Exiting Bedding - viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7219
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:26 am

Look at the food sources or destinations for fresh sign... If that don't work throw a sit at it and just try one.
treeroot
500 Club

Unread postby treeroot » Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:49 am

Thanks Dan, I like the food source idea. I would imagine I could shine the food sources available and try to nail down a wind based pattern.

I've been wondering on beds used for all winds like this, do the bucks exit towards the food source that gives them the best wind based approach?

I feel like there is a detail I'm missing here that would tip the odds a touch.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:02 am

treeroot wrote:Thanks Dan, I like the food source idea. I would imagine I could shine the food sources available and try to nail down a wind based pattern.

I've been wondering on beds used for all winds like this, do the bucks exit towards the food source that gives them the best wind based approach?

I feel like there is a detail I'm missing here that would tip the odds a touch.

No, based on my observations they go towards the food or does with no regard to wind when leaving a bedding area. In the morning they do go into bed smelling for danger, but leaving is different. Its really a matter of patterning what time of the year they use the beds most, and what they are eating or doing rut wise at that time frame. There is usually peak times of year any certain bedding area is used.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”