Intresting write up on cwd

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

SamPotter
500 Club

Re: Intresting write up on cwd

Unread postby SamPotter » Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:04 pm

Bowhunting Brian wrote:CWD has been around for a long time and not mentioned to the public. When the deer heard got real big, cwd was all of a sudden brought to the public's attention as a scare tactic to eradicate the population because the pressure insurance companies put on certain people for monetary reasons.

CWD isn’t some government hoax. It is clear that the explosion of deer farms over the past 20 years and the spread of CWD are more than a coincidence. There are counties in WI in which half the adult bucks are CWD positive at this point. This is a big deal.

headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:32 am

SamPotter wrote:CWD isn’t some government hoax. It is clear that the explosion of deer farms over the past 20 years and the spread of CWD are more than a coincidence. There are counties in WI in which half the adult bucks are CWD positive at this point. This is a big deal.

Agreed, not buying the conspiracy stuff and deer farms are the worst. Basically those farmed deer don't get fed a healthy diet and are much more susceptable to disease, much like us humans.
vtbuck
500 Club

Unread postby vtbuck » Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:31 am

https://www.ninds.nih.gov/Disorders/Pat ... Fact-Sheet
CJD is what my mother died from. I’m not allowed to donate blood, plasma or organs because of this.
I see little reason to live in fear of something I have little control over. I may already have it.
I’m not going to give up hunting because of something I can not truly control. I believe if hunters are smart about how they take care of the animal they harvest and do not eat/ handle any parts of a deer nervous system they should be ok.
I’m no expert on CJD or cwd. I’ve done research on both. I’ve seen one firsthand. Life is short. Do what you feel is needed but live life cause it can end at any moment.
Sorry for the rant.
Perfection is a dream, practice is hard work, and achieving a goal is making that goal a reality.
Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:38 am

SamPotter wrote:
Bowhunting Brian wrote:CWD has been around for a long time and not mentioned to the public. When the deer heard got real big, cwd was all of a sudden brought to the public's attention as a scare tactic to eradicate the population because the pressure insurance companies put on certain people for monetary reasons.

CWD isn’t some government hoax. It is clear that the explosion of deer farms over the past 20 years and the spread of CWD are more than a coincidence. There are counties in WI in which half the adult bucks are CWD positive at this point. This is a big deal.

You're right, it's not a hoax, but it was a reason to start eradicating deer heard.
MN_DeerHunter
500 Club

Unread postby MN_DeerHunter » Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:57 am

Another podcast for those interested: http://www.themeateater.com/listen/meat ... ng-disease
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:32 am

The article really means little to me... All those places already have CWD whether or not they have found it in a test... If that's alarming, then so should the fact that soil is moved from state to state in trucks, on boots, wedged in tires, in plant pots, etc. Its well known that CWD stays in soil indefinitely... And how about the sale of deer urine? Pretty much unregulated... It comes from deer farms and is sent to every state and country that has whitetails... If that's got you thinking, you might consider that digestion does not kill or disable CWD, SO BIRDS SUCH AS CROWS, VULTURES, eagles, magpies, etc, etc. eat infected meat then fly thousands of miles crapping out CWD the whole way. What about dead dear floating down rivers? or the soil run off that flows down rivers? The article means little in the real scheme of whats going on...
may21581
500 Club

Unread postby may21581 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:19 am

Not quite sure what to think about cwd. :think:
"Failure is the price for entry for achieving something great"
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:01 pm

Bowhunting Brian wrote:
SamPotter wrote:

You're right, it's not a hoax, but it was a reason to start eradicating deer heard.

Not a government hoax but the government is raising a stink about it so we should believe them right? Im sure they got our backs and are looking out for our best interest :lol: Silly. If its really a concern to some of you then you should quit hunting and let us dummies get sick and die.
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
cedarsavage
500 Club
Facebook: No facebook

Unread postby cedarsavage » Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:29 am

Have you guys ever thought about intentionally eating a bunch of infected deer? I’m sure there are plenty of people that would give up infected deer for you to eat. You could form a long term study. Then you could prove how stupid the CDC and all of us worriers are. Any of you skeptics have a background in science?
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:20 am

cedarsavage wrote:Any of you skeptics have a background in science?

The older I get the more I question science. They seem to excell at proving small things but never seem to grasp the bigger picture until a lot of damage has been done. That isn't entirely their fault because sometimes it takes us decades to fully understand something but there are a lot of jumping to conclusions on limited data and that is where we get into trouble. Worse yet when they spread fear without a complete understand of the situation. We are in the first decade here, if there was an obvious probablem we would have known about it already because we have been eating venison for a long time. Science could do a lot better by not ringing the alarm bells every time they make a new discovery with extremely limited information.
SamPotter
500 Club

Unread postby SamPotter » Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:33 am

headgear wrote:

The older I get the more I question science. They seem to excell at proving small things but never seem to grasp the bigger picture until a lot of damage has been done. That isn't entirely their fault because sometimes it takes us decades to fully understand something but there are a lot of jumping to conclusions on limited data and that is where we get into trouble. Worse yet when they spread fear without a complete understand of the situation. We are in the first decade here, if there was an obvious probablem we would have known about it already because we have been eating venison for a long time. Science could do a lot better by not ringing the alarm bells every time they make a new discovery with extremely limited information.

What’s scares the biologists about CWD and prions is in fact what they don’t know. What they don’t know is how to get rid of them. There is no treatment. You can’t cook it out of the meat. The prions last for a decade or more in the soil. As Dan pointed out, prions could very well be being spread in bird poop and grain being harvested and trucked across the country, etc.
Sure, no humans have been infected with CWD thus far, but it took over a million people to eat BSE infected beef before mad cow disease made a jump to humans- I don’t want myself, my wife, or my 9 month old son to be the lucky lottery winner.
Even if CWD never jumps to humans, it most certainly is having population impacts in the most heavily affected regions of the country and it continues to spread. I sure would be bummed if whitetails suddenly became an endangered species and every other one shot was CWD positive.
We can be skeptical of science all we want, but at least scientific opinions are based on known facts.
cedarsavage
500 Club

Unread postby cedarsavage » Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:40 am

[generally speaking more intelligent people tell you they don’t fully understand things like these scientists are doing, ignorant people tell you they understand lots of things because they don’t know enough to realize how little they understand. Is it safe probably, I’m just saying I highly doubt anyone who doesn’t have a background and education in this understands it better than someone who does. I’ve never heard a scientist say it’s unsafe they’re saying we can’t say it’s safe, a lot of barstool geniuses say “we ain’t got nothing to worry about.”...
quote="headgear"]

The older I get the more I question science. They seem to excell at proving small things but never seem to grasp the bigger picture until a lot of damage has been done. That isn't entirely their fault because sometimes it takes us decades to fully understand something but there are a lot of jumping to conclusions on limited data and that is where we get into trouble. Worse yet when they spread fear without a complete understand of the situation. We are in the first decade here, if there was an obvious probablem we would have known about it already because we have been eating venison for a long time. Science could do a lot better by not ringing the alarm bells every time they make a new discovery with extremely limited information.[/quote]
cedarsavage
500 Club

Unread postby cedarsavage » Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:46 am

Yeah, I agree. Wearing a seatbelt doesn’t guarantee I won’t die in a car wreck but I’m still gonna wear one because it might save my life. I agree with dan it’s gonna spread regardless but I’m not gonna dump bones behind my house anymore unless I know they’re negative. We had over 400 negatives here, but it takes at least 16 months to show up so most of the 1.5’s don’t necessarily mean anything and realistically we can’t say the one positive was a fluke unless we test every deer for at least a few years.

uote="SamPotter"]
headgear wrote:

What’s scares the biologists about CWD and prions is in fact what they don’t know. What they don’t know is how to get rid of them. There is no treatment. You can’t cook it out of the meat. The prions last for a decade or more in the soil. As Dan pointed out, prions could very well be being spread in bird poop and grain being harvested and trucked across the country, etc.
Sure, no humans have been infected with CWD thus far, but it took over a million people to eat BSE infected beef before mad cow disease made a jump to humans- I don’t want myself, my wife, or my 9 month old son to be the lucky lottery winner.
Even if CWD never jumps to humans, it most certainly is having population impacts in the most heavily affected regions of the country and it continues to spread. I sure would be bummed if whitetails suddenly became an endangered species and every other one shot was CWD positive.
We can be skeptical of science all we want, but at least scientific opinions are based on known facts.[/quote]
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:49 am

SamPotter wrote:
headgear wrote:

We can be skeptical of science all we want, but at least scientific opinions are based on known facts.

I don't care if people eat it, or don't eat it.. Obviously 10's of thousands have eaten it, probably more like 100's of thousands, and your probably getting it from other avinues as well when its in the soil... The real decision here is not should we eat it, or should we not. The real decision is should we kill every deer, moose, elk and other deer species to stop it from increasing? Or not... On one hand CWD is already here, on the other hand it will eventually kill every deer species out there. and if you want to believe the people telling you it could mutate to humans, then the only way to prevent that is to wipe out all deer species in the world and never bring them back. And that won't guarantee it don't mutate to humans, cause its in the soil forever. If you use common sense, there is no in between.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:13 am

No one took CWD seriously when it was widespread out west since the 60's (longer than Ive been alive) but Wisconsin was in the middle of trying to lower the deer population with pressure from the insurance companies and farm collation and could not convince hunters that lowering the population was a good idea. When CWD came to Wisconsin it was exactly what Jim Doyals DNR wanted. They could mandate control, order sharp shooters, and tresspass "in the name of human safety" they just needed to exaggerate the deadliness of the disease. They used scare tactics to make people believe it could effect humans and people have been worried ever since... There were several prominent biologists that that spoke out against what the WDNR was saying, but it fell on deaf ears, especially with Doyal controlling the Wisconsin Media. i REMEMBER HIM ORDERING A RESEARCH project to prove that reducing the herd would slow the outward spread of CWD. A scientist researcher did a big project and her team found surprising results. Turned out that reducing the herd made bucks (the main known carrier) greatly expand there home range in search of does and actually spread the disease outward faster... They promptly made an example of the researcher and fired her and refused to release the findings.

When you look at the facts instead of believing the biased media and politics, there should only be 2 camps. Kill everything, or let it run its coarse and all we can do is small things to slow the spread like control where meat and bones go.

With the changing back to a Liberal Governor in Wisconsin, expect him to follow the politics and go back to killing everything.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”