Deer bedding an wind

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Bub30

Deer bedding an wind

Unread postby Bub30 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:51 am

Got a question the areas I can hunt seems that the wind is always changing from day to day not really a constant wind might blow from the north one day then the south the next I have found some beds but what’s some advice or tips for finding beds it’s farm country with rolling hills thanks in advance

ghoasthunter
500 Club

Re: Deer bedding an wind

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:06 am

Bub30 wrote:Got a question the areas I can hunt seems that the wind is always changing from day to day not really a constant wind might blow from the north one day then the south the next I have found some beds but what’s some advice or tips for finding beds it’s farm country with rolling hills thanks in advance

rolling hills can be tough a slight wind shift will change where a big buck beds. typically you wont find burnt in beds in this terrain so id start buy looking for the most secure bedding with good cover and line of sight. also if you can find bedding thats in tighter terrain vs the rest of the hills say a steep section in otherwise plain rolling hills the bedding will be tighter together.
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:21 am

Exactly what Ghoasthunter said. I'd start by looking at the steepest terrain you have. This forces their bedding at certain elevations. They won't lay down on a steep place unless there's some kind of flat area. If you don't have any that's really steep, I'd pick a point that would have multiple wind bedding and thicker cover. Then I'd search it high and low looking for any sign of beds. Look for obstacles that he would bed near. They'll almost always have a blowdown, tree with low hanging limbs, rocks etc. behind them. If it looks like a place you'd bed in, kneel down, rake the leaves away and look for hair. I've found several spots like this that the majority of hunters would just walk past.
Bub30

Unread postby Bub30 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:35 am

I just started looking into this style of hunting I found one bed that was for sure a buck bed there was hair laying in in rubs going into it but it was only good for a nw wind just trying to figure this out so I can scouts for next year
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:10 pm

Easiest and best way to learn all of this is to buy Dan's Bedding Series videos! You can start with the Farmland video, buying and watching them all. Really helps one to understand buck bedding in it's totality.
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”