Hill country “double trail”

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

isitseasonyet?
500 Club

Hill country “double trail”

Unread postby isitseasonyet? » Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:05 am

Today I ran across something I’ve never seen mentioned here before, so I thought I’d share and get some discussion going. I have a “hill country” double trail. This property has an ag field as s food source and a river bottom /dead river doe bedding area. The hill side is a semi circle that has one ridge that faces east and west bending into another ridge facing north and south. The prevailing winds are from the north. The does typically bed in the river bottom and head up the hill to the fields to feed at night. Shown in blue on the map. The bucks cruise on the two black paths. One is on the normal 1/3 elevation line. The other is on the bottom 1/3. They connect and go back to the 1/3 line on when the hill runs north to south, but split like this on the east/west side. Red x are small fingers that come off the ridge and have beds, ONLY on the top 1/3.

The two trails

Imagefree online picture hosting

Have you ever seen this?

Based on my milkweed I believe that the upper trai is used on a north wind which is also when the bucks bed there. I believe the lower trail to be used on an east west wind because that’s where my milkweed travels and then circles back on.

Let me know what you think or if you have seen something similar!

ghoasthunter
500 Club

Re: Hill country “double trail”

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:56 am

could be wind speed or time of day is there a majority of tracks going one direction like they were drooping low too use a dropping thermal too enter bedding on the point?
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
isitseasonyet?
500 Club

Unread postby isitseasonyet? » Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:00 am

ghoasthunter wrote:could be wind speed or time of day is there a majority of tracks going one direction like they were drooping low too use a dropping thermal too enter bedding on the point?

Both trails were well used in both directions, I couldn’t tell any significant difference
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:06 am

isitseasonyet? wrote:
ghoasthunter wrote:could be wind speed or time of day is there a majority of tracks going one direction like they were drooping low too use a dropping thermal too enter bedding on the point?

Both trails were well used in both directions, I couldn’t tell any significant difference

check this thread
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=47759
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”