Need advise quick on a buck that busted me

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Derril Glen
Facebook: Derril Glen Blanchard

Need advise quick on a buck that busted me

Unread postby Derril Glen » Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:08 am

This morning I had a very good mature buck bust me I believe he smelt me almost 100% sure he smelt me. Should I just kiss him goodbye or go back for 1 more hunt in the morning. He was easy 140 class buck or bigger so I'm sick over it

Take your bow and a quiver full of arrows, and go out into the open country to hunt some wild game for me. Genesis 27:3
Evanszach7
500 Club

Re: Need advise quick on a buck that busted me

Unread postby Evanszach7 » Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:25 pm

Pretty situational... bust you on the stand with 2 of the 3 (sight, smell, sound/movement); that stand/ area is burnt. I’d ask myself why was he there, and what’s his next move. I’ve always had better luck getting ahead of them, than chasing what I’ve seen.

Bust you walking in- possible bump and dump.
funderburk
500 Club

Unread postby funderburk » Sun Nov 25, 2018 2:35 pm

Yep. Definitely situational. Gotta keep in mind that mature bucks smell things they don’t like all the time. That doesn’t mean they’ll avoid the area completely, but they’ll definitely be on high alert the next few times of passing through. Their memory is freaky.

My thoughts are even if he did see, smell, and hear you...he’s still a killable deer. What makes the difference now is learning him and catching him off guard where he isn’t on high alert. Personally, I think times like these make you a better hunter. I agree with Evanszach7: gonna have to get a few steps ahead of him. But hey, now it gets fun ;)

Got any more details on what happened? Bumped him out of bed? Along a trail? Off a scrape line?
“I’ve always believed that the mind is the best weapon.” John Rambo
Ghost Hunter

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Sun Nov 25, 2018 2:45 pm

Where was he headed when he left? Get ahead of him if possible. Every deer is different, he might turn and come right back in. Then he may never be in there again in daylight.
I'm reason they call it hunting and not shooting.
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:25 am

try setting up down wind of your previous location if the buck likes bedding in that area he might just try wind checking for you next time around catch him in the act.
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”