Tree saddle?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

sureshotscott
500 Club

Re: Tree saddle?

Unread postby sureshotscott » Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:05 pm

Zman wrote:Thanks again for the responses, much appreciated! Sorry, just a few more questions:

1) Is it possible to use a heater body suit with a saddle? (I’ve personally found the HBS to be a game changer for staying warm on all day sits later in the season in WI)

I'm a big fan of hunting from a saddle, but when weather calls for the IWOM (same as HBS) the saddle is not in play. I've heard of guys modding the HBS/IWOM for saddle use but those are probably rare cases.

treeroot
500 Club

Unread postby treeroot » Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:19 am

After switching to the saddle I don't ever foresee me going back. If it is windy at all and really cold I usually will pick a larger tree. Then I sit on the backside so the tree blocks 80% of the wind. Swinging around for a shot hasn't been a problem yet if they come in from my backside.
swampnovice31

Unread postby swampnovice31 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:52 am

ghoasthunter wrote:
Pse wrote:Has anyone tried the bullman outdoor silent approach steps ? They look like they would save some weight over other options

i have a set after trying hard too like them for over a year i went with sticks and platform. i think the platform is the way too go you can stand on it and adjust your saddle. you can stand on it and shoot your weak side better. everything about a platform is better and it gives you a place too carry your sticks too. just makes life better if you ask me and id say most guys end up going that way eventually. the way i pack in right now is four home made sticks with aiders a home made platform and i simply wear my saddle i use the linesmen belt like a pair of suspenders. i carry my tether in a bag on the mole web along with a strap on bow hanger i made with 3 hooks bow on left pack center quiver right. everything fits tight together and there is nothing too snag on brush. total weight with all gear is around 17 pounds but carrys like way less because i keep all the weight in line with my back. always pack your pack with the heavy stuff close and weight will be less.ImageImage

right on.. I like your set up
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:01 am

Been using a saddle for years - most comfortable stand option out there IMO. Traditional stands kill my back over the course of a season. They have their place but for 90% of my hunts a saddle is the best option out there for several reasons. After having tried them all, my saddle of choice is the new Tether'd Mantis - can't say enough good things about them.
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:18 am

swampnovice31 wrote:
ghoasthunter wrote:
Pse wrote:Has anyone tried the bullman outdoor silent approach steps ? They look like they would save some weight over other options

i have a set after trying hard too like them for over a year i went with sticks and platform. i think the platform is the way too go you can stand on it and adjust your saddle. you can stand on it and shoot your weak side better. everything about a platform is better and it gives you a place too carry your sticks too. just makes life better if you ask me and id say most guys end up going that way eventually. the way i pack in right now is four home made sticks with aiders a home made platform and i simply wear my saddle i use the linesmen belt like a pair of suspenders. i carry my tether in a bag on the mole web along with a strap on bow hanger i made with 3 hooks bow on left pack center quiver right. everything fits tight together and there is nothing too snag on brush. total weight with all gear is around 17 pounds but carrys like way less because i keep all the weight in line with my back. always pack your pack with the heavy stuff close and weight will be less.ImageImage

right on.. I like your set up

the biggest improvement i like with my platform is the padded knee bar. it makes a world of difference when sitting all day having some kind of pad for your knees is great. it also helps alot in small diameter trees i cant sit for very long with my knees pressed together. i like a little air flow in my manly hood. :lol: another way too do it is buy using a padded waist belt from a frame pack just run it around the tree buckle it together and pull it tight. if you have one with hip pockets you also have a carry pack in one saving some weight. my platform also fixes the problem you get in heavy limb trees its big enough that i can put it on front of tree stand like a traditional stand and shoot. you simply sit side saddle and either shoot sitting or you can stand and shoot off platform. it also works for wrong way learners like that. just simply adjust your tether so its not directly in line with the platform and your good. if you need too wait a long time you just face the tree like normal, but once it gets too prime time you just sit with your strong side hip against the tree and wait like that or stand. doing it this way truly lets you use any tree you want.
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
BuffaloNYhunter

Unread postby BuffaloNYhunter » Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:16 pm

I’m wondering how far you hunt in? I’m thinking far too go through all that unpacking and setting up compared to a climber or stand and sticks
purebowhunting
500 Club

Unread postby purebowhunting » Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:37 am

sureshotscott wrote:
Zman wrote:Thanks again for the responses, much appreciated! Sorry, just a few more questions:

1) Is it possible to use a heater body suit with a saddle? (I’ve personally found the HBS to be a game changer for staying warm on all day sits later in the season in WI)

I'm a big fan of hunting from a saddle, but when weather calls for the IWOM (same as HBS) the saddle is not in play. I've heard of guys modding the HBS/IWOM for saddle use but those are probably rare cases.

I use my HBS with my saddle, I at first modified it with holes for the bridge to pass through but now I just use the HBS as is. It will be slightly unzipped but still warm, if real cold a lean forward and zip it up fully. Your bridge is closer to your chest than you'd think. Using a saddle makes it super easy to put on the HBS.
mag1
500 Club

Unread postby mag1 » Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:23 am

lots of good replies here. You also got some answers from some of the guys that have done a lot of experimenting, ect... over time.

You will find that saddle hunting is different for everybody. one fits a person one way, another differently. I went thru a sit-drag, Mantis, Flex, and now on to a DIY "wraptor" which I really like. I also started while waiting for a platform, just using the top steps of my LW sticks, then the Predator (which is nice), and a ROS of squirrel steps (my prefered setup).

As you can see, lots of options, and for everyone, its different. For a new guy, look at the different saddle options, spend some time on saddle hunter to get a feel for what fits different styles better, and dive in. for many, the predator platform has been a game changer.

My 1st time out, I did a 7hr sit, and was comfortable. you will find that you shift around thru the course of the day. some of the saddles have a tendency to ride up, bu this may not become apparent until after 3-4 hrs. what it really comes down to is how you set up your tether height, bridge length, ect... A lot of the guys that already chimed in have some great content on youtube. (DaveT, G2, DIYsportsman, ECT.......) You really can't go wrong with any of the setups. You may find that after sometime in one, you may want to try a different one.
the saddles, if you have are taken care of them, can be resold for close to what you have into them if you find you would like to try a different one.

I have sat in NE wis in -15F and 20-50mph wind. you have to bundle, but it is possible. I have not tried a HBS. so I cannot speak to that.
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:17 am

purebowhunting wrote:
sureshotscott wrote:

I use my HBS with my saddle, I at first modified it with holes for the bridge to pass through but now I just use the HBS as is. It will be slightly unzipped but still warm, if real cold a lean forward and zip it up fully. Your bridge is closer to your chest than you'd think. Using a saddle makes it super easy to put on the HBS.

What if you put another zipper in it? One that could close some of the top end of the suit?
purebowhunting
500 Club

Unread postby purebowhunting » Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:48 pm

matt1336 wrote:
purebowhunting wrote:
sureshotscott wrote:

What if you put another zipper in it? One that could close some of the top end of the suit?

The issue is getting it off quickly when an opportunity arises. If you want to modify your HBS I'd put a button above the bridge to keep it closed or cut slits like I did for a removable bridge to pass through. Whatever you decide use it first with no mods, I feel it will work better than you think as is.
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:55 pm

purebowhunting wrote:
matt1336 wrote:
purebowhunting wrote:
sureshotscott wrote:

The issue is getting it off quickly when an opportunity arises. If you want to modify your HBS I'd put a button above the bridge to keep it closed or cut slits like I did for a removable bridge to pass through. Whatever you decide use it first with no mods, I feel it will work better than you think as is.

Oh yeah...forgot about the need for it to fall off. I was planning to cut slits in my hbs and then use my lineman’s rope for a removable tether. Ik a guy that makes boat covers. He has some heavy duty sewing machines and should be able to do a great job with it.
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:55 pm

purebowhunting wrote:
matt1336 wrote:
purebowhunting wrote:
sureshotscott wrote:

Oh yeah...forgot about the need for it to fall off. I was planning to cut slits in my hbs and then use my lineman’s rope for a removable tether. Ik a guy that makes boat covers. He has some heavy duty sewing machines and should be able to do a great job with it.
raisins

Unread postby raisins » Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:55 pm

I have a set. PM me if you want my opinion.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”