Whats your states deer hunting regulations?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
Lockdown

Re: Whats your states deer hunting regulations?

Unread postby Lockdown » Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:18 am

MilesFromNoWhere wrote:I wish MN would let you get a buck tag for each weapon type used. Or maybe just 2 buck tags like you are saying. There are plenty of deer here. I ended up having to pass the biggest buck of my life this year because I had already tagged a nice 3.5 year old 8 pointer. I am hunting for meat first and foremost so as long as I get some meat in the freezer I'm happy but it sure would have been nice to shoot that monster. Maybe next year!

If that were legal much of the state would be screwed. Much of the state already is :lol: What part of the state are you in? I’m guessing either SE or central?

MilesFromNoWhere

Unread postby MilesFromNoWhere » Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:58 am

Lockdown wrote:
MilesFromNoWhere wrote:
If that were legal much of the state would be screwed. Much of the state already is :lol: What part of the state are you in? I’m guessing either SE or central?

They could make it zone specific. I am in central and there are deer everywhere. I know it's tough up north I have family in two harbors and it's hit and miss season to season for them.
sir_tob

Unread postby sir_tob » Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:44 am

Texas, 1 buck 13" minimum spread. Up to 4 deer in some counties.

I wish Mn would require some sort of antler restrictions. There are some parts of the sate that are doing elective antler restrictions with great results. I bow hunted an area on the edge of that and saw a really nice 125" buck and had another bigger buck that was too far back in the brush to see his antlers. Mn has potential if they'd quit shooting the brown its down sorta deal.
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:48 am

2 bucks.

State opens 3rd weekend in September closes first week january.

Every license is separate besides sportsman 34.00 archery 34.00 muzzleloader 34.00 gun I think 28.00 wma hunting must also buy basic hunting 28.00. Or buy a sportsman 168.00.

Crazy because our resident hunting cost more then some states non resident.

Coyote hunting is allowed but it is illegal to carry rifle in woods on a wma after deer season so I'm guessing coyotes bow only.only that time of year. There's no specific rules on coyote hunting and I highly doubt even the Twra has a clue what to list.

Tn hunting laws are about as clear as mud.
I wish we were like other states without having 70 different licenses.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
Mossyhorns

Unread postby Mossyhorns » Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:19 am

Yeah, well....sometimes nothin can be a real cool hand.
-Cool Hand Luke
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:15 pm

Iowa residents get 2 either sex tags just by living here. 1 bow tag and 1 gun tag, can be gun 1, 2, early or late muzzy. A landowner gets one more either sex that can be in one of those categories. If a guy wanted to he can look into hunting special areas like city limits hunts, state park hunts, etc. Usually those are you shoot a set amount of does and get a buck tag the next year per that units bick tag rules.

Right now IF I wanted to put in time I could get 2 statewide tags, hunt my local city hunt, drive 35 minutes north hint that city hunt, drive a hour NE and hunt that city hunt drive E a hour and hunt that city hunt,drive SW and hunt a city there, drive W 2 hours and hunt that city. Within 1 hour of me there are also 5 state park specialty hunts that I could get in on.

I choose to not burden myself and just hunt on my 2 statewide tags.... it's hard enough filling 1 now tag let alone all those other earn a buck tags.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
Evanszach7
500 Club

Unread postby Evanszach7 » Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:19 pm

Ohio 1 buck. They just changed the regs this year to limit 1 doe harvest on public and it has to be before 12/3. If you also hunt private you can take up to 3-4 or around there. It’s good their trying to bring the herd back up but funny the ODNR thinks deer don’t cross property lines.
Swampbuck

Unread postby Swampbuck » Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:31 pm

Louisiana here. We have some stupid rules. We get 6 deer tags. 3 does, 2 bucks and an either sex. Some areas in northern La have alot of deer and can handle it. The region I hunt cant. People usually shoot a couple spikes then hold out for a big one, until the end and shoot another spike.... gotta feed the family they say. The are has potential but the limits are tool liberal.

I dont like the 1 buck limits but would trade it for what we have
Make It Happen
Mossyhorns

Unread postby Mossyhorns » Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:53 pm

All states seem very different
-Cool Hand Luke
Grizzlyadam
500 Club

Unread postby Grizzlyadam » Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:08 pm

In CT I can get ten deer if I take part in all seasons both state land and private. That's archery, gun, and muzzleloader. I can get up to six bucks with those tags. In some of the southern zones it's unlimited does and earn a buck, so people shoot a bunch of does and earn more buck tags. It's rediculous!

I never realized how good we actually have it compared to other states I'm reading about here. I usually like to get 3 to 4 deer a season which is just about enough for us to eat venison in our household year round.
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:18 pm

Grizzlyadam wrote:In CT I can get ten deer if I take part in all seasons both state land and private. That's archery, gun, and muzzleloader. I can get up to six bucks with those tags. In some of the southern zones it's unlimited does and earn a buck, so people shoot a bunch of does and earn more buck tags. It's rediculous!

I never realized how good we actually have it compared to other states I'm reading about here. I usually like to get 3 to 4 deer a season which is just about enough for us to eat venison in our household year round.

Plus an early start of September 15th. That’s why I hunt CT .

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
Mossyhorns

Unread postby Mossyhorns » Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:20 pm

I used to get this book that was published every year that listed all the states, the estimated deer population and the number of hunters but I haven’t found it in a few years. It was pretty cool just like a yearly publication
-Cool Hand Luke
jpe40

Unread postby jpe40 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:50 am

For Pennsylvania. Your allowed 1 buck total. Minimum 3 pts on 1 side in eastern pa 4 pts in western pa. You must apply for a doe tag but they are fairly easy to get if you apply on time. 6 weeks archery season roughly Oct 1 to Nov 10 give or take a few days. 13 day rifle season starting the Monday after Thanksgiving. There is a also a 4 week archery and 6 week flintlock season starting Dec 26. You can not hunt on Sundays in PA. There is lots of public land in Pa but a crazy amount of people in rifle season. Archery and late season I rarely see other hunters.

JPE
Mossyhorns

Unread postby Mossyhorns » Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:45 am

jpe40 wrote:For Pennsylvania. Your allowed 1 buck total. Minimum 3 pts on 1 side in eastern pa 4 pts in western pa. You must apply for a doe tag but they are fairly easy to get if you apply on time. 6 weeks archery season roughly Oct 1 to Nov 10 give or take a few days. 13 day rifle season starting the Monday after Thanksgiving. There is a also a 4 week archery and 6 week flintlock season starting Dec 26. You can not hunt on Sundays in PA. There is lots of public land in Pa but a crazy amount of people in rifle season. Archery and late season I rarely see other hunters.

JPE

No hunting on sundays man that seems when me and my buddies usually kill one Sunday evening, a couple hours from the truck then another couple hour drive from the house, then you got to get up at 4-5 and go to work.. those always make for a rough monday morning lol
-Cool Hand Luke
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:28 am

FL has several diff regulations.

General regulation is 1 buck per day all season long - 3 pts 1-inch or longer on 1 side or a 10-inch main beam. Thus a big cowhorn spike could be legal.

WMAs have diff regulations but most involve 1 or 2 bucks per 3-day hunt and state antler requirement indicated above. A few places allow doe harvests.

We have season from July down south to February up north in Panhandle.

Don't go thinking it is easy down here - most public places will have a harvest of 100-130 deer per year and have up to 7000 or 8000 hunter trips/days - it really is pathetic but we've got 20 million folks and they don't add hunt areas. Some private lands take a lot of deer but most guys do the public land thing and maybe get a deer every couple of years.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”