Shifting winds and bedding

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

checkerfred
500 Club

Re: Shifting winds and bedding

Unread postby checkerfred » Fri Nov 23, 2018 6:00 am

matt1336 wrote:Some beds are wind specific others are not. The ones that aren’t....often times these are the Marsh beds or cut over beds, beds in thick cover or a bed that offers a deer somekind of advantage without using a specific wind. the deer will obviously stay put when using these beds. The beds in the hills are often times very dependent on the wind, so they will. Sometimes beds in the hills aren’t wind specific, so they won’t. Sometimes beds in the swamps and marshes are wind specific so they will move.
So....as with most things related to deer and deer hunting, I think the best answer is.....they’ll move sometimes, but not all the time.

I agree, it's terrain/cover dependent. All the beds I've found have been wind dependent which you can tell by what's around. Thicker cover to the back and open in front. Our swamps are different that most though as we have hardly any marsh at all. We do have plenty of cutover and I agree on those. I still find quite a few beds on the edges though.

checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Fri Nov 23, 2018 6:01 am

EdC wrote:Great to keep in mind

We've had some shifting winds and light snow

Last swamp I walked this week I found actual beds these bucks are holding in and noting the winds
going out today to do it again seems like every day we have light snows making it easy to track and find those beds

I'll keep marking those beds and the winds they are sitting on, thanks

Man that makes it easy! lol. We hardly ever get snow here so we have to go by tracks in the dirt/mud which makes it hard to figure out....most of the time you can't see tracks going into bedding
EdC

Unread postby EdC » Fri Nov 23, 2018 6:08 am

just when I thought I was going to figure it out with the snows things changed

saw lots heavy track running parallel to the swamps but none really going into the swamps
now I'm scratching my head, where are they bedding, almost like they picked up and left totally

all the tracks leaving are heavy at the swamp area and then split off into many directions the further they are from the swamp, very odd
Everyone Gets Close - Few Finish The Job

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”