Veterans Day Success

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Thesouthpaw
500 Club

Veterans Day Success

Unread postby Thesouthpaw » Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:38 pm

Well, Veterans Day is quickly becoming my new favorite day. I took my annual rutcation trip to the midwest this season, and decided on Indiana this year. I took some time this summer to scout a large tract of public land, and gained permission on an 80 acre chunk of timber in the western part of the state. I arrived on Friday, the night of the 2nd, and had a hard time falling asleep in the bed of my truck because I was so excited. Throughout the week, I saw lots of bucks and chasing on both the public that I hunted, and the small tract of private.

Of course, most of these bucks were two year olds, but I dd see a couple of shooters mixed in. In fact, one day I saw a 145 inch inch buck whoop a 125 over a doe. Meanwhile, some younger bucks stole that big one's doe and when it was all said and done, nine bucks were chasing that single doe. It was absolutely amazing.

As Sunday the 11th rolled around, I was completed fine with going home empty handed, as it had already been a fantastic trip, but I decided to take one last shot on the 80 acre parcel (mainly because I would be able to get back to my truck quickly in order to head home). I decided that I would sit until 10:30, then climb down and head back to West Virginia. It was an extremely slow morning, without a deer sighting until 8:30. But wouldn't you know it, the only deer I saw was the right one. He was going to skirt me at 75 yards, but I hit him with a few aggressive grunts and he turned on a dime. He closed the distance to 27 yards, and I put an arrow right behind his shoulder. (The expandable head actually deflected and climbed up his rib to his spine dropping him instantly, I will never shoot an expandable again after seeing the deflection). It was the perfect way to end an outstanding trip.

Anything worth doing, is worth over doing.
Jackson Marsh

Re: Veterans Day Success

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:14 pm

Congrats southpaw! :clap: Post some pics if you get the chance.
Trout1

Re: Veterans Day Success

Unread postby Trout1 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 3:10 am

Very cool. Glad you got a good one and awesome that the grunt did the trick.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”