Trusting Yourself

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Twenty Up
500 Club

Trusting Yourself

Unread postby Twenty Up » Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:15 am

I’m going to share a picture of my stand setup off of a blind, heavily pressured public land hunt down here in Georgia on flat farm country.

I blindly went into this area late the afternoon before off of a hunch and some aerial images. I quickly identified two bedding areas and a lot of fresh Buck and doe sign. Knowing the area couldn’t wait, I went in the next morning at grey light and chose this tree. 5’ off of the ground, overlooking a funnel, 4 scrapes, an inside field corner and a rut cruising trail.

Due to property lines, the wind and the various trails this was the only tree in cover that gave me the best opportunities at everything noted above.

At 7:52 I heard a twig break behind me, as I turned antlers was all I saw. 22 yards and closing. Caught with the IPhone in my hand I had to scramble for my bow. Mind you, I’m in an ALL BLACK rain suit. As I’m adjusting my sights I realize the bucks watching something at my feet, a yearling doe was at the base of the cedar tree to my right. Both deer clueless to my presence. As the buck walks to my last shooting lane at 18 yards I made my move, only to hear the dreaded “crunchy” of a rain suit rubbing together. The doe nervously ran off and the buck immediately chased after her.

Agitated with myself after botching a chance at a 130”+ public land 9 point, I turned my phone off. Roughly 10 minutes later I hear something running directly at me. A mature, hot doe runs straight for the funnel I’m overlooking. Right behind her are 5 bucks dogging her down! I quickly grab my bow and see a giant 8 point stopped at 34 yards, as I begin drawing back the doe catches my wind and runs back towards them. I could only watch the bucks push the doe onto private property. Not 5 minutes later I hear 4 gun shots and the Big 8 was done, confirmed with pictures later on.

30 minutes after this I had a yearling 6 point work the scrape at 9 yards from me and cruise the trail the hot doe ran off on.

I’m hoping this post resonates with some guys in that height doesn’t matter, but surrounding cover does. That fancy camo doesn’t matter, but knowing when to move does. But most importantly, to put the IPhone down! :lol:

Thanks for reading, I hope y’all been having a great season

Trust the Process~~ Lost Boys Outdoors ~~

YoutTube: https://youtube.com/channel/UC7TXknGut5WfZQ6CbddgqYg
Rich M
500 Club

Re: Trusting Yourself

Unread postby Rich M » Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:42 am

That was a great hunt!

Confidence is a big part of the game we play. It has been my biggest challenge over the years.
thwack16
500 Club

Unread postby thwack16 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:50 am

Hate that you weren't able to kill!

I shot the buck I currently have in the Kill Zone with my saddle platform at 5 foot. I could've easily been busted and was probably milliseconds from being so, but that doesn't matter now.
Twenty Up
500 Club

Unread postby Twenty Up » Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:21 am

Rich M wrote:That was a great hunt!

Confidence is a big part of the game we play. It has been my biggest challenge over the years.

Without a doubt, its bittersweet hanging a set for a specific bed only to have the buck walk by at 43 or 56 yards. Closing that 25-30 yard gap has been my biggest struggle chasing these Southern bucks. But it’s the challenge that keeps us going

Twenty Up
500 Club

Unread postby Twenty Up » Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:25 am

thwack16 wrote:Hate that you weren't able to kill!

I shot the buck I currently have in the Kill Zone with my saddle platform at 5 foot. I could've easily been busted and was probably milliseconds from being so, but that doesn't matter now.

I seen that Missouri buck, down right stud! There’s something else about being that much closer to them as well, it just adds to the rush.

My own fault on the first buck, had I not been texting and snap chatting away it would’ve been a different story. It be that way sometimes :doh:

Bogle

Unread postby Bogle » Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:19 pm

Yep, putting the phone away is hard sometimes and even worse when it costs you a buck . At least your in the mix, you'll get em.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:13 pm

Damn. That is awesome but also sucks. Next time throw a fleece jacket over the rain jacket ;)
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Twenty Up
500 Club

Unread postby Twenty Up » Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:46 pm

Bogle wrote:Yep, putting the phone away is hard sometimes and even worse when it costs you a buck . At least your in the mix, you'll get em.

Guess it’s just Karma for taunting the buddies when they do the same thing!

Twenty Up
500 Club

Unread postby Twenty Up » Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:48 pm

PK_ wrote:Damn. That is awesome but also sucks. Next time throw a fleece jacket over the rain jacket ;)

Good idea. Was anticipating close quarters but not spittin’ distance

Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:50 pm

Exciting hunt, bummer it didn't end in a kill.
Twenty Up
500 Club

Unread postby Twenty Up » Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:52 pm

*** To clarify I hunted this buck twice more, had him at 56 yards leaving a bedding area cruising nose-to-wind then he beat me to the bedding area the next morning. Tracks in a scrape confirmed.

The tract this occurred on is no longer open to public access for the 2018 season. So I can only hope he survives our 4 month rifle season for a 2019 redemption.

Trout1

Unread postby Trout1 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:18 pm

Thanks for posting this. Been dropping lower and lower in the tree this season myself. Having good results too.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:30 pm

:doh: Yeah glad I don't own a smart phone. I know people that took in books to read (way before cell phones). I never could do that. Rarely hung up my bow or gun either! Little paranoid I guess.!!!!! :oops:
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”