Proper Wind?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

EdC

Proper Wind?

Unread postby EdC » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:42 pm

Got a question for Dan in particular

I've watched the swamp and marsh DVD's

listen to the podcasts etc...

I've cyber scouted multiple swamps in my area
marked the wind directions going down points and bowls
also marked the visible deer tracks so I have an idea of their travel directions

Now I have over 20 areas of interest many with different wind directions

My question to you Dan is

I have heard you say over and over that you wait, pick and go into areas once the "wind direction is proper"

This has been a common denominator it appears for picking which areas you go into for hunting your multiple spots

Dan could you explain what you mean by"proper wind direction" ?
I hear you say this over and over

I've got multiple spots to choose from and would love to know what wind directions would be the trigger to hunt these spots

Everyone Gets Close - Few Finish The Job
stash59

Re: Proper Wind?

Unread postby stash59 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:35 pm

If a bed/beds is/are wind specific. You need to wait to hunt those beds until the buck will use a bed for the wind direction indicated. When found from scouting. Remember bucks usually bed wind to back. Normally with some kind of obstacle at their backs. And able to see a decent distance in the direction they're facing. So if you find a bed with an obstacle behind it and that obstacle is to the north. The proper wind for that bed is north or northerly!
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
EdC

Unread postby EdC » Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:27 am

yes I agree what your saying and understand buck has his back to wind with obstruction and looks at the open areas

but for a hunter what would be the winds your looking for to sneak in to those bucks

for example if a buck bedded off a point do you wait for the wind to come down the point and come in off the side

or do you pick a wind that does not come down the point and the hunter sets up on the point to the side of the trail

from what I heard Dan say heavy trails are exit trails and you would expect the buck to use the trail regardless of wind

or what do you do if the buck is bedding on non specific winds etc...

I keep hearing Dan say waiting for the "proper wind" and I'm sure it depends, but for a newbie what is a proper wind to check out
new areas only cyber scouted
Everyone Gets Close - Few Finish The Job
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:58 am

If you've only cyber scouted it you can only guess as to what winds the beds are set up for. Once you actually put boots on the ground when you find beds. You'll see how it kinda depends on where the roots are in relation to a trees trunk. How that particular spot will be for which wind. In a perfect scenario on a point the beds are set up for a wind straight down the point. So you need a just off wind. One that blows a little to one side or the other of the point.

As far as the proper wind, it's mainly got to do with hunting a bed on a wind direction that will mean a buck will most likely be using the bed.
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:16 am

one thing ill ad is some trails are going too be favored with specific winds too ive seen big bucks bed in some strange places during the rut. one buck im hunting right now beds in same place during the rut almost every day regardless of the wind his bed is not vulnerable though he lays on knoll that gives him clear line of sight too monitor doe bedding and movement he can see danger approach for a long way and he simply puts his but up too a wall of cover. for this spot having the wind and thermals in your favor is the most important factor. not every bed has too follow the rules and im starting too notice a lot of mature bucks will bed favoring visual year round just like us the wind can get a deer in trouble but you cant trick his eyes. the hardest part hunting spots like this is you cant get close enough too get a shot off with day light either you have too hold back out of sight and pick one trail back from where it forks. if you sit in the bed you might notice one blind spot where hes looking small patch of brush you can crawl in on possibly a blow down or stone wall ect. or get in there in the dark close enough for a high probability encounter and pray he didn't bust you when he enters his bed. when i im forced too do this i try and setup for a j hook so i can shoot him first thing in morning but if he goes past you in the dark your stuck sitting there all day.
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”