Scent control help me out.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

218er
500 Club

Re: Scent control help me out.

Unread postby 218er » Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:44 am

You just summed it up. It’s more enjoyable not worrying about washing, spraying, etc that whole process really takes some of the enjoyment away. Skip it and see how it goes

Persistence is undefeated.
ThePreBanMan
500 Club

Unread postby ThePreBanMan » Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:49 am

Didn't Dan endorse a scent control product in one of his videos... Yea... I think it was the zip-lock scent control suit and sell-out brand broadheads.... OP should look into those.
/kidding...
BBH1980

Unread postby BBH1980 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:10 pm

BorealBushMN wrote:Ha! this thread has cracked me up. It's like I stepped into an AA or drug rehab meeting. Just say NO to scent control!

It's a support group haha
d_rek

Unread postby d_rek » Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:12 am

I spent the last 3 seasons doing crazy John E. level scent control. Yeah I killed some deer but I also paid no attention to anything else that was happening (wind, weather, etc.) because I thought i was an odorless ninja, so in retrospect I learned a lot less than I could have. I tried some technical hunting clothing (first lite) that fit and performed so well last year that I decided to ditch the scent stuff and just be comfortable in the woods. I also felt like my woodsmanship was a skill that was sorely lacking, along with better understanding my quarry.

This season has been 100% hunting the wind and it has been my most enjoyable season by far. No I haven't knocked down any slammers but I am learning more about access, thermals, air current, etc. than I ever did the last 3 seasons. More importantly I am seeing how deer react and use wind.

I'd say once you get over the mental crutch it's an easy transition. Just remember to have some fun!
"I don't know what the f*** this is but it's weird as f*** so i'm leaving."
-The Deep
HoosierBowman2425

Unread postby HoosierBowman2425 » Tue Dec 25, 2018 5:40 am

I love this topic. I have used scent lok, scent blocker and under armour's odor eliminating clothing. I have used several different type of soaps, shampoos, deodorants, even the chewing gums for breath and the chlorophyll tablets that tastes like alfalfa lol. In the last few years I've really toned all of that stuff back as far as having a "regiment". I will still wash my clothes in a perfume free detergent that doesnt have any UV brighteners in it and place them in a rubbermaid tote once they are dried. I still shower before every hunt. But not in the magical witches brew soap. Instead of going over the top with all of the odor eliminating products, ozone technology I have done the same as most every other person on here and started carrying milkweed with me on every scouting trip or visit to the farm and I'm constantly letting it off and watching how the currents and thermals are working. I would go out on a limb and say that too many hunters, including myself in the past have put too much faith in gimmicks or products instead of focusing on the woodsmanship aspect of hunting. I just started adopting a lot of the beast principles this year and I have to say one of the most appealing aspects of the beast way is the woodsmanship. Not just sitting in a box over food. Off topic for a second. But in summary I believe that instead of focusing precious time on things that are not 100% proven, focusing on what you can do to beat the wind 100% of the time. Grab that milkweed and dedicate some time to learning how the wind moves through your property.
EllieTheChubb

Unread postby EllieTheChubb » Tue Dec 25, 2018 6:28 am

One fall I was living in an old airstream right by the ocean up here in maine. Taking cold showers outside with a stiff seabreeze put an end to my "scent control" regimine. It forced me to focus more on wind currents and it led to my best hunting season I'd had!

I was never that hardcore about scent control but I would use scent free detergents, air my hunting clothes outdoors and store them with softwood boughs then scent free showers and sprays before a hunt.

If a deer is directly down wind it will smell you no matter what you do. The question is if the critter cares.
Last edited by EllieTheChubb on Tue Dec 25, 2018 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
EllieTheChubb

Unread postby EllieTheChubb » Tue Dec 25, 2018 6:42 am

EllieTheChubb wrote:One fall I was living in an old airstream right by the ocean up here in maine. Taking cold showers outside with a stiff seabreeze put an end to my "scent control" regimine. It forced me to focus more on wind currents and it led to my best hunting season I'd had!

I was never that hardcore about scent control but I would use scentfree detergents, air my hunting clothes outside and store them with softwood boughs then scent free showers and sprays before a hunt

If a deer is directly down wind it will smell you no matter what you do. The question is if the critter cares.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”