Late Season Big Boy Movement and Location

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

The Silence

Late Season Big Boy Movement and Location

Unread postby The Silence » Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:18 pm

Wanted to get your opinions on late season hunting for the big boys. I've had a very difficult time even seeing bucks in late archery season after shotgun season- so this year I'm going to try to concentrate on a few important locations under the right circumstances.

(1) There is a deep ditch that the deer tend to concentrate in during windy, cold weather. It has quite a few cedars in it as well. I've never tried setting up outside of that area in order to catch them as they leave the ditch after the storm breaks.

(2) I've seen really mature deer get up out of their beds early to head to food sources when you get really cold weather. If I was set up near a known buck bedding area during those unseasonably cold times I may be able to pick him off.

(3) I know deer like south facing slopes at that time. Do bucks tend to hang out with does on these south facing slopes or not. Not sure how I'd hunt them but I thought about still hunting my way in.

I'm assuming the big boys will be tucked away in the securest places they can find but I'm just trying to figure out what types of conditions may get them up on their feet earlier than usual.

stash59

Re: Late Season Big Boy Movement and Location

Unread postby stash59 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:22 pm

Snow on the ground & below 0 temps. Dress warm!
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:30 am

Food is normally the right answer but I hunt bigwoods so I don't find them there because the food is kind of everywhere, the past couple of seasons I have had some good encounters going back to buck beds. I kind of suspect they stick with those areas that keep them alive during rifle season.
Jdw
500 Club

Unread postby Jdw » Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:10 am

The combination that works best for me is lower hunting pressure, since they have been hunted for a while already and a reliable food source.
Then snow and cold temperatures to make them move in daylight.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”