Tag Punched, now what??

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Hawthorne
500 Club

Re: Tag Punched, now what??

Unread postby Hawthorne » Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:13 am

I’m in a similar situation. I’ve tagged out in two states with 3 bucks. I could go after a doe in my home state but i probably won’t. I’m set on freezer meat. I’m stepping up my hours at work for overtime and will spend some time with my wife and kids thru the holidays. January I’m starting back up for post season scouting. I scout all year so I know I have plenty of days ahead. No wrong decision whatever you do.

stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:44 am

Do whatever makes you the happiest. Which may mean in the long run keeping mama bear happy!!! ;)
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
crackehelmet

Unread postby crackehelmet » Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:09 pm

Redman232 wrote:
greenhorndave wrote:Find someone you know who might be a newer hunter or has an interest and set him/her up in a spot where they'll see deer. Get them hooked.

Buddy of mine did that for me last year and now I'm on The Beast forum. Tells you the impact a gesture like that can have on someone.

I agree take someone else, and also take some time to enjoy some small game hunting, get your kids or someone elses kids involved.

^^^So much this.

But for personal time, there are still a number of other seasons running. Small game, Waterfowl and upland birds are still open here. Where a lot of beasts are driven by killing the biggest buck in the woods (and that is a worthy goal. I salute the fortitude it takes to let a six pointer walk away), my personal goal as a hunter, and I have a long way to go, is to have the skill and know how to end the season with my freezer filled with a variety of wild game.
tuff4x4

Unread postby tuff4x4 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:13 am

First year I have punched my buck tag with a lot of time remaining so I have been putting out trail cams that i will leave soak till March. Hope to confirm bucks that made it and try to see when they want to bed there.

Doing foot scouting but mostly in cruising areas.
And spending lots of time with the family.

Also waiting for snow, want to try my hand at tracking.
Thesouthpaw
500 Club

Unread postby Thesouthpaw » Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:25 am

Scout as much as you can, then start getting ready for turkey season.
Anything worth doing, is worth over doing.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”