Gun season.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Dingler3
Facebook: Ken Fudalik

Gun season.

Unread postby Dingler3 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:35 am

Hi everyone. I am new to posting on here, but have been reading for over a year now. I have learned a ton. So thank you to everyone! My question right now is, what does everyone do during gun season? Here in NY, public gets a lot of activity. When wearing bright orange I don't want people to see the over looked spots I'm in. Or that I have found the bedding spots. So what do I do? Sit it out doesn't seem like any fun. I do have a few private spots I can hunt, but I don't want to burn those out waiting till late season either. Thanks again. Ken

Drewo

Re: Gun season.

Unread postby Drewo » Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:45 am

I’d rather be alive. I always wear a bright orange vest and hat during gun season. If you get in before daylight there’s no one out there anyways. If they really want to find you they will since the snow makes it hard to lose someone following you.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:51 am

That is a tough call, can you hunt middle of the week when less guys are around? Sometimes rifle season I try and hunt more remote stuff and let the pressure push bucks to me. Then hit the overlooked spots later in the season or even muzzy or late bow season. You for sure don't want to advertise overlooked spots to everyone coming and going on a big piece of public.
Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:09 am

I haven't gun hunted ina few years, but couple of thoughts:

1. If it was truly an overlooked spot where people would see me for sure, like off of a parking lot, I'd leave it and come back for late season hoping it heated up even more with the pressure.
2. Lots of the spots on the public I hunt, I think I'd be too thick and too deep to be seen even with blaze orange on.
3. 90% of the gun only crowd would never be able to put together why you were there and would think you're the one off base, so wouldn't worry about.
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:39 am

I purposely gun hunt areas I wouldn’t ever expect to see another hunter. The blaze orange doesn’t bother me and my success rate has skyrocketed with this approach.

I would go to the nastiest hardest access area opening weekend then so overlooked stuff later while nobody else is around. Quickest way to lose a spot is for somebody to see you successful there.

I found a piece of ribbon near a spot I gutted a doe last year and I’ve been kicking myself for gutting it in an open area since then. Hope I don’t find a stand there in the next couple of days. When you find a good spot, the work isn’t over. You need to do what you can to keep it good. And a lot of that is hiding it from others
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:38 am

I think most guys who seen me in over looked spots thought "What an idiot!" "there are no deer there!" Probably more important they don't see you drag one out of there, than they see you hunt there.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:44 am

I remember sitting in a spot in a suburban area bow hunting where a large 12 foot fence around a building created a funnel between bedding and food. There was also a quite well used hiking trail there... I had a 150 inch buck go by me just out of range and then a hunter comes walking by and makes a comment about only an idiot would hunt there... I just nodded and tried to appear the idiot he thought I was. Its human nature to think you have to be in the traditional spots, and its human nature for them to think they are better than everyone else. They will think your stupid and laugh at you in a lot of cases... I think it matters little if they see you there, as long as they don't see you dragging out deer
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:52 am

Exactly what dan said. Act like you have no clue what you are doing. Everyone always thinks all the other hunters in the woods are idiots anyways. Just try to be discreet pulling that big buck out.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Dingler3

Unread postby Dingler3 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:18 am

Thanks for the advice. I have no problem looking like a idiot. I do it at work all the time. :lol: I also see what you are saying about not letting people see the deer you harvest either. All makes sense. Deer just seem easier to understand stand than some people. I have found a lot of bedding over looking parking in the few public spots I've been hunting. Haven't connected, but don't want to give up either. One other question I have is it worth giving up a morning or afternoon on a weekend to see where other hunters are going? Kinda like doing a drive by of sorts?
Thesouthpaw
500 Club

Unread postby Thesouthpaw » Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:52 am

I look for large tracts of land and try to get as far away from the road as possible. Lots of times I'll hunt 2+ miles from the vehicle. If you do this, take a frame pack in case you kill one.
Anything worth doing, is worth over doing.
jlh42581
500 Club

Unread postby jlh42581 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:12 am

Dingler3 wrote:Thanks for the advice. I have no problem looking like a idiot. I do it at work all the time. :lol: I also see what you are saying about not letting people see the deer you harvest either. All makes sense. Deer just seem easier to understand stand than some people. I have found a lot of bedding over looking parking in the few public spots I've been hunting. Haven't connected, but don't want to give up either. One other question I have is it worth giving up a morning or afternoon on a weekend to see where other hunters are going? Kinda like doing a drive by of sorts?

ABSOLUTELY, i can pull up the maps of public right now and tell you where the pressure will be in archery and rifle season
mspaci

Unread postby mspaci » Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:29 am

wear the orange in & take it off when you are up in the stand, I do it all the time, Mike
bh bowhunter

Unread postby bh bowhunter » Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:18 am

Yep same here! I only have to wear an orange cap to be within the regulation. I remove it on stand!
Dingler3

Unread postby Dingler3 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:46 am

Seems a little dangerous to not where any orange and have other hunters around you. Also unfair to other hunters that thought they had a safe shot only to have you in a tree unseen. I would feel really guilty if something happened, a deer isn't worth any of the bad things that could happen.
218er
500 Club

Unread postby 218er » Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:27 am

I typically where blaze orange while walking around. Then throw camo over the top once i’m set in the the stand.
Persistence is undefeated.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”