Jeffs "bottom 1/3" buck

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
strutnrut716
500 Club

Re: Jeffs "bottom 1/3" buck

Unread postby strutnrut716 » Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:22 am

Congrats Jeff !! Nice work !

Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:24 am

Spectacular! :clap:
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Swampbuck

Unread postby Swampbuck » Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:54 am

dan wrote:
EdC wrote:Dan don't your feet get cold

I've seen you wade and stand in cold water barefoot snow on ground

must have little feeling in those feet :shock:

Infalt Acclimation. You subject yourself to the cold enough your body gets used to it. Take a ride down south in the winter. It will be 50 degrees and everyone is wearing winter coats. Coming from Wisconsin Im wearing shorts and a tee...

I dont know how you do that, breakung ice with bleeding fingertips and letting ice build on your face until its freezer burnt, :o lmao, I think you have some wolf blood!!! I'll have to stick to warm clothes ;)
Make It Happen
HunterBob
500 Club

Unread postby HunterBob » Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:27 pm

Nicely done, makes sense how nothing is always...
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:17 am

:clap: :clap:

More great info from the institute of higher education on whitetail tactics. Congrats Jeff
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
ODH
500 Club

Unread postby ODH » Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:30 pm

Jeff G wrote:
Buckbreath wrote:I was lucky enough to be on that property during a scouting workshop. After having been there and seeing the results of this hunt, everything makes sense.

Many big bucks have taken a dirt nap in the spot I showed you towards the end.

Glad it all clicked for you!

Jeff G,

Looking back on it is that lower third spot a spot to hunt only during the rut or could it be productive before or after the rut? Before the rut are you only finding opportunity at bucks by beds up higher? Thanks
Jeff G
500 Club

Unread postby Jeff G » Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:39 pm

ODH wrote:
Jeff G wrote:
Buckbreath wrote:I was lucky enough to be on that property during a scouting workshop. After having been there and seeing the results of this hunt, everything makes sense.

Jeff G,

Looking back on it is that lower third spot a spot to hunt only during the rut or could it be productive before or after the rut? Before the rut are you only finding opportunity at bucks by beds up higher? Thanks

You can hunt it outside the rut. Trail cam data has proven bucks use the lower third and higher third leeward cruising all year long.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:35 am

Jeff G wrote:
ODH wrote:
Jeff G wrote:

Jeff G,

You can hunt it outside the rut. Trail cam data has proven bucks use the lower third and higher third leeward cruising all year long.

The biggest factor to consider when setting up there outside of the rut is, are you close enough to bedding to have daytime movement of mature animals...
ODH
500 Club

Unread postby ODH » Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:38 am

Thank you both!
bigbucks1234

Unread postby bigbucks1234 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:55 am

Jeff G wrote:
ODH wrote:
Jeff G wrote:

Jeff G,

Jeff, you say they still cruise the lower third all year. Just curious if the movement up high or low is heavily skewed one way or the other??? Do they still prefer up high but will drop down with the right conditions? I found a great pinch on the lower third this fall with thick bedding on either side of the pinch and was thinking it could be a great setup so this thread is intriguing....
bones09

Unread postby bones09 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:23 am

I have seen the bottom 1/3 be better then top on 2 different properties in hill country wi. Both have timber transitions at about that 1/3 elevation. My favorite of the 2 properties has ag fields low, moving up to south facing cedars till about the 1/3 maybe 1/2 elevation and mature hardwoods timber above that. I think they stay low on that hill because the mature timber doesn't give them much undergrowth for cover.
bigbucks1234

Unread postby bigbucks1234 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:47 pm

bones09 wrote:I have seen the bottom 1/3 be better then top on 2 different properties in hill country wi. Both have timber transitions at about that 1/3 elevation. My favorite of the 2 properties has ag fields low, moving up to south facing cedars till about the 1/3 maybe 1/2 elevation and mature hardwoods timber above that. I think they stay low on that hill because the mature timber doesn't give them much undergrowth for cover.
So in your scenario, thick cover down low is trumping any thermal advantage up high. What is the hunting pressure??
bones09

Unread postby bones09 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:29 am

bigbucks1234 wrote:
bones09 wrote:I have seen the bottom 1/3 be better then top on 2 different properties in hill country wi. Both have timber transitions at about that 1/3 elevation. My favorite of the 2 properties has ag fields low, moving up to south facing cedars till about the 1/3 maybe 1/2 elevation and mature hardwoods timber above that. I think they stay low on that hill because the mature timber doesn't give them much undergrowth for cover.
So in your scenario, thick cover down low is trumping any thermal advantage up high. What is the hunting pressure??

Well they still have a thermal advantage being above close to half the hill. In this area that is a few hundred feet of elevation. Neither property is pressured like Michigan, but 1 is open mfl land and I wouldn’t call either area low pressure. I think the tall stand timber that has very little undergrowth just isn’t desirable bedding/travel.
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:18 pm

bones09 wrote:
bigbucks1234 wrote:

Well they still have a thermal advantage being above close to half the hill. In this area that is a few hundred feet of elevation. Neither property is pressured like Michigan, but 1 is open mfl land and I wouldn’t call either area low pressure. I think the tall stand timber that has very little undergrowth just isn’t desirable bedding/travel.

yup cover trumps wind some of the mountain ranges i hunt seam too only have dense hemlock and mountain laurel on west side while the primary leeward comes from the west guess what all the buck bedding and travel is on the west. the bucks bed on points in drainage'sand cliffs all along the west side in terrain that makes them get the double wind swirl effect talk about a hard spot too setup no matter what you do the wind blows every direction and changes all day. they get out of the heavy winds buy staying in dark pockets with good over head. its a total nightmare too hunt.
lets think of it this way yes leeward wind and rising thermal create a wind tunnel but there are other areas that create wind tunnels that dont need this setup. remember wind flows like water in a river if water hits an obstacle like a boulder it starts an eddy. so if the wind hits a transition line like a ledge a knoll or a tree line buy a swamp the wind will pool and eddy around. air creates a vacuum so if the wind suddenly hits a obstacle and ether ramps up or falls down there is going too be vacuum effect whats probably making the deer travel low is there is a thicker brush line thats a edge as small as it seams its creating a swirl in the wind. now the swirl is less so a deer will have too be more careful when moving threw it but then the cover creates the blanket the deer needs to feel secure as it travels. makes you think about why we call a deer the creature of the edge. they are traveling and bedding on the edge because it gives them a wind advantage regardless of thermals. when im hunting for big bucks im not just looking for leeward wind trails im also looking at terrain that creates a swirl or wind tunnel. features like this are where some giants will travel simply because they are over looked. also if the woods are open all the way up the hill that bucks has another advantage his eyes can see everything up there not too mention his ears. he can sky light you silhouette looking up that hill and he can hear you coming for a long way with the acoustic effect he gets off that hill side. im a firm believer that big bucks rather use all there senses while they travel or bed. finding those ah ha holy molly big buck beds prove it. they take advantage of everything they can. so when your out hunting dont just focous on the leeward advantage, but rather look at the big picture of how a mature buck can use the woods too his advantage when hes traveling and bedding. taking that into mind just might help you setup for a big buck when he has too break from the normal and get threw a area that does not create the wind tunnel effect from thermals and leeward. so when you set that stand take that in mind for yourself too if you get too close too an opening or other terrain feature all you doing is getting yourself busted. setup where the wind can run clean threw setup past the opening or in from it sometimes the better wind is actually upwind of the deer trail if the wind is blowing over and past it, and this is why we throw milk weed like its our job because it finds all this for us 8-)
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
bigbucks1234

Unread postby bigbucks1234 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:16 pm

ghoasthunter wrote:
bones09 wrote:
bigbucks1234 wrote:

yup cover trumps wind some of the mountain ranges i hunt seam too only have dense hemlock and mountain laurel on west side while the primary leeward comes from the west guess what all the buck bedding and travel is on the west. the bucks bed on points in drainage'sand cliffs all along the west side in terrain that makes them get the double wind swirl effect talk about a hard spot too setup no matter what you do the wind blows every direction and changes all day. they get out of the heavy winds buy staying in dark pockets with good over head. its a total nightmare too hunt.
lets think of it this way yes leeward wind and rising thermal create a wind tunnel but there are other areas that create wind tunnels that dont need this setup. remember wind flows like water in a river if water hits an obstacle like a boulder it starts an eddy. so if the wind hits a transition line like a ledge a knoll or a tree line buy a swamp the wind will pool and eddy around. air creates a vacuum so if the wind suddenly hits a obstacle and ether ramps up or falls down there is going too be vacuum effect whats probably making the deer travel low is there is a thicker brush line thats a edge as small as it seams its creating a swirl in the wind. now the swirl is less so a deer will have too be more careful when moving threw it but then the cover creates the blanket the deer needs to feel secure as it travels. makes you think about why we call a deer the creature of the edge. they are traveling and bedding on the edge because it gives them a wind advantage regardless of thermals. when im hunting for big bucks im not just looking for leeward wind trails im also looking at terrain that creates a swirl or wind tunnel. features like this are where some giants will travel simply because they are over looked. also if the woods are open all the way up the hill that bucks has another advantage his eyes can see everything up there not too mention his ears. he can sky light you silhouette looking up that hill and he can hear you coming for a long way with the acoustic effect he gets off that hill side. im a firm believer that big bucks rather use all there senses while they travel or bed. finding those ah ha holy molly big buck beds prove it. they take advantage of everything they can. so when your out hunting dont just focous on the leeward advantage, but rather look at the big picture of how a mature buck can use the woods too his advantage when hes traveling and bedding. taking that into mind just might help you setup for a big buck when he has too break from the normal and get threw a area that does not create the wind tunnel effect from thermals and leeward. so when you set that stand take that in mind for yourself too if you get too close too an opening or other terrain feature all you doing is getting yourself busted. setup where the wind can run clean threw setup past the opening or in from it sometimes the better wind is actually upwind of the deer trail if the wind is blowing over and past it, and this is why we throw milk weed like its our job because it finds all this for us 8-)
Wow, there's a lot to chew on here ghoasthunter :think: I've read your post 3 times and am still trying to wrap my head around it all. Thanks for chiming in!!!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”