Richland county hunter hung upside down after treestand failure

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

greenhorndave
500 Club

Re: Richland county hunter hung upside down after treestand failure

Unread postby greenhorndave » Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:59 pm

Wow. Could have been worse. Glad he’s going to be ok. Got to be vigilant not to make mistakes.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
JTH

Unread postby JTH » Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:59 pm

That’s sounds like it could have been a lot worse for the poor guy. Glad someone found him and pray for a full recovery.
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:10 pm

I think they found a hunter dead here in Wisconsin in recent years with the same situation. Hung upside down from the legs on a climber stand. I wonder what make of stand they are using??
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:12 pm

:shock:

He’s lucky to be alive. 2 hours is a long time.
treeroot
500 Club

Unread postby treeroot » Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:50 pm

He's very lucky.
I think being safe is something that should get talked about more. Where many on this forum hunt the chances of anyone finding you is skin to none.
hambone
500 Club

Unread postby hambone » Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:15 am

Whoa! The dude is BLESSED to be alive! :shock:
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:14 am

treeroot wrote:He's very lucky.
I think being safe is something that should get talked about more. Where many on this forum hunt the chances of anyone finding you is skin to none.

It really boils down to the only one saving me, is me. We need to realize, its our own job to protect ourselves. I recently had someone tell me its a very reckless and self centered thing to not bring your cell phone with you hunting... He added, think of your wife and kids man!
How ridicules... We did not even have cell phones when I started hunting. The further I get away from civilization the more I feel at home.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:26 am

dan wrote:

It really boils down to the only one saving me, is me. We need to realize, its our own job to protect ourselves. I recently had someone tell me its a very reckless and self centered thing to not bring your cell phone with you hunting... He added, think of your wife and kids man!
How ridicules... We did not even have cell phones when I started hunting. The further I get away from civilization the more I feel at home.

It's a tough balance. I used to run around all over the mountains out in Montana. Never told a soul where I was heading, sometimes didn't know myself! When I got married again I had to realize that hiking out of my way a little. To find cell service, gave mama bear alot of peace of mind. Course I was gone for a week or 2 at a time usually.

Dan's right though. The only person that can truly make a difference in an emergency situation. When your back in the middle of nowhere. Is you!!!! As a group, we humans have become too dependent on outside sources. Someone/something, other than ourselves. When we get into trouble. """"Best case scenario""""" with a cell phone is getting help in maybe an hour. If your in an urban area. The farther from the fire department/emergency service center you are. The longer it will take for that kind of help to arrive.

I know Dan likes to go in real light. But I think having a small kit with some survival gear is a must. Check out Dave Canterbury on YouTube. He's has tons and tons of stuff on self reliance. So you'll get a good idea on what to take and how small/simple you can keep this kit. Plus tips on how to use them. Course just like shooting your bow. You need to practice this stuff so you can actually do it under the stresses of an emergency. I think we owe it to our loved ones to know this stuff. To stay alive, because dying ain't an option!!!
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
perchsoup

Unread postby perchsoup » Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:06 am

It said the guy was only 30 yards into the woods off the road. Sounds like it could have been a been a beast hunter in an overlooked spot. If your on here, hope your okay.
treeroot
500 Club

Unread postby treeroot » Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:59 am

dan wrote:

I agree with you 100%. I wasn't trying to sound like a Nancy.

But I do think it's part of teaching new young hunters the ropes. I've taken many of my woodshop students from school on their first hunts, they don't have a clue. No dad's, never played outside as little kids 0 knowledge. They think their cell phone will save them no matter what. They treat machines the same way "nothing will hurt me." no actually kid that lathe your using will wad you up and spit you out. Instead it's that personal responsibility that needs taught.
Is it sad? Yes.
Survival of the fittest? Maybe lol
But if they stumble onto a forum no one talks about it.
wiscbowhntr
500 Club

Unread postby wiscbowhntr » Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:12 am

From the sounds of it he didnt use his safety equipment properly. So many hunters tether to the tree way too low. You should tether at a height so when you sit down your safety harness is a couple inches from being snug. This way if you do "fall" you actual swing out instead of falling and a sudden JERK stopping you from hitting the forest floor. He was upside down with his safety harness on, my guess is he tethered to the tree way too low.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:20 am

wiscbowhntr wrote:From the sounds of it he didnt use his safety equipment properly. So many hunters tether to the tree way too low. You should tether at a height so when you sit down your safety harness is a couple inches from being snug. This way if you do "fall" you actual swing out instead of falling and a sudden JERK stopping you from hitting the forest floor. He was upside down with his safety harness on, my guess is he tethered to the tree way too low.

Goes back to taking responsibility yourself. For your own safety and well being! In each and every situation.
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
EdC

Unread postby EdC » Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:59 pm

my safety harness the tether strap is high around the shoulder blades

Guy was upside down, he must of been tied around the waist, would explain why he was upside down
these days almost all the safety harnesses come with a safety strap your suppose to carry on you
so if you fall you can reach the tree tether and step into to relieve the pressure around the groin

sounds like he lacked both
Everyone Gets Close - Few Finish The Job

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”