Old bucks vs core area size

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

treeroot
500 Club

Old bucks vs core area size

Unread postby treeroot » Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:15 pm

Four years ago I hunted what I believe to be a 2 1/2 year old. (I live in NY) I had him nailed down to bedding around 200 yards over the property line where I don't have permission. I hunted him almost exclusively the following year and biffed the shot off a corn stalk. I was within 80 yards over a dozen times just could never get closer due to the property line. Even during the rut he seemed to never travel very far.

Last year and this year I moved on to hunt other deer. Even though I've been close to his presumed bedding I never saw him last year and figured he was gone. I never heard of anyone shooting him.

Anyways today I sat in one of my trees I set up for him after watching another big buck seeming to use his old bedding area. Right before dark I'm 99% positive it was him emerging from the same old area. I couldn't believe it, but it has to be him. What are the chances he stays within that 100 yard x 100 yard area? That would put him 6 1/2 to 7 1/2.

ghoasthunter
500 Club

Re: Old bucks vs core area size

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:58 pm

i used too think big bucks core areas shrank but im learning they just get better at staying undetected in there area. some of the biggest bucks i hunt 5.5 too 6 years of age use over 3000 acres of woods. alot of it depends on deer density's. a buck in farm land normally uses less space vs a big woods buck. ive tracked bucks in the Adirondacks from sun up too sun down and the buck never started too circle. alot also is individual per deer some Rome some are content. you might find that big buck frequents your area at certain times but unless you can gain access to the other sections you will never know he could be running a straight line for two miles the other way.
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
treeroot
500 Club

Unread postby treeroot » Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:45 pm

Where he beds is roughly 30 acres of brown brush / golden rod on a slight Hill. This piece is literally the only place no one goes. Everything around it gets pounded, especially in gun season.

You might be right, he might just hide well. Hopefully I can talk the guy into letting me shed hunt in there this spring and see what I can find.

I'm just in awe that he's gone almost two years without even one sighting. I used to catch him when I would spot light out feeding. That's how I got my shot at him. But I haven't seen him even shining.
ihookem
500 Club

Unread postby ihookem » Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:57 pm

Sonce he aint dead yet, he likely just stays there . It worked for him so far.
treeroot
500 Club

Unread postby treeroot » Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:35 am

What is the beast method for hunting a buck that lives across the property line?

Are there some you guys consider unkillable due to their location?

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”