Effects of weather during the rut?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

johndeere506
500 Club

Effects of weather during the rut?

Unread postby johndeere506 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:33 am

I've become a huge weather and cold front hunter, it has worked very well for me. However, what about prime time, like Nov 5th to 15th, do you think colder days and cold fronts still matter or are much less relevant, if at all?

muddy

Re: Effects of weather during the rut?

Unread postby muddy » Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:53 am

They're gonna rut regardless, but when it's hot I've noticed a heat really slowing down mid day movement.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
Lu Rome

Unread postby Lu Rome » Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:54 am

I think the very extremes for a given area may suppress movement a bit, but for the most part deer are gonna move this time of year no matter what. The extremes may shock them into sitting still for a bit, but by and large they are slaves to one thing in November. Weather may influence where they're moving (high/low/thick stuff) but they're moving nonetheless.
“Curiosity never killed the cat. The cat died from stupidity, or maybe an overdose of mice.” -The Old Man
john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:57 am

When you get a Rut with average temps a lot of people blame lack of sightings on the warm weather.

Then we get a cold Rut and people still complain on the lack of rut activity they see. Cuz its too cold for the deer.

:lol:
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:14 pm

I have seen bucks chasing hard in hot weather and seen no action at all in “perfect” weather. Bottom line is you need to spend as much time as possible on stand during peak rut because it can happen literally at any time and in any weather condition.
treeroot
500 Club

Unread postby treeroot » Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:48 pm

The only thing I've seen is when it's perfectly calm / 0 wind it seems to slow down.
johndeere506
500 Club

Unread postby johndeere506 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:59 pm

I don't see as much during rain. I think I ready that somewhere in a buck study also. After today, I'm pretty sure they don't move well in a hard loud sleet either.
Rutnstrut
500 Club

Unread postby Rutnstrut » Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:28 am

I have noticed that when it's COLDER than normal as it has been here in WI all of November. That the deer don't seem to be on their normal rut patterns in my hunting areas. Interestingly Greg Miller was noting the same thing on his FB page a few days ago. We live in the same town and hunt the same area, so I would say it's not just me.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:49 am

Rutnstrut wrote:I have noticed that when it's COLDER than normal as it has been here in WI all of November. That the deer don't seem to be on their normal rut patterns in my hunting areas. Interestingly Greg Miller was noting the same thing on his FB page a few days ago. We live in the same town and hunt the same area, so I would say it's not just me.

Your comment got me thinking! When the rut is over, along with most gun seasons. Not only have the deer changed habits due to the added pressure. But the cold also makes them seek different food sources. Things that help keep them warm and maintain energy over the winter. Could be earlier colder than normal temps makes them make these transitions sooner. Also maybe they know something we don't. Maybe we're in for a tough winter ahead!
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:45 pm

i like hunting the rut the day after a weather system that will shut down deer movement heavy rain or snow all night or crazy high winds. my best days are calm 5 to 8 mph days with steady consistent wind seams too make the big ones run there rout using the wind too check every doe bedding in the area. ive seen bucks cruse all day on those days.
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”