Hill Country Question, Going back tomorrow

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

johndeere506
500 Club

Hill Country Question, Going back tomorrow

Unread postby johndeere506 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:13 am

Im hunting a good private land area in south central Ohio. I went on the 7th/8th last week and saw some bucks but no shooters, not as much activity as I had hoped. I think I was hunting too low off the main ridge. I went up and scouted the next highest finger point, and it was cover in scrapes and huge rubs on a flat section of this huge main point. It slopes off the main ridge 100 ft down and then flattens for 200 yards, then continues dropping down to the bottom way below.

Should I be hunting this long finger point flat? Most of the deer in the evening came from above, but some bucks came from below up the drainage. I did see one giant buck bedded watching my truck down low mid day... I'm thinking im looking for bucks out searching or cruising. So it was a little inconsistent. I dont want to go the last step up to the main ridge and have to turn back if I cant define travel as well. This point flat has a defined military crest also, almost like it is its own ridge and thats where all the giant rubs are, and then the scrapes are just up towards the main ridge as it comes down. I realize its not the ridge, but the ridge ends on this private land, and this is one finger is one of the main ways down to the bottom.
Hunt the ridge, or this finger point flat slightly lower? Im going back tomo for 2 days dark to dark by myself again.
Thanks

Edit: After checking the map, this flat is about 180 ft below the ridge top. The ridge top is 350 ft high, but this land is unpressured this year. The ridge ends where this private lands starts, so I have to pick which place they will come down first or to scent check during the day.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Hill Country Question, Going back tomorrow

Unread postby dan » Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:34 pm

Take your best guess and throw a sit at it. Hard to say for sure just based on your description. Make sure you set up in anticipation of the thermals rather than just the wind. If it were me, I would probably set up on the buck watching your truck... But that's me.
johndeere506
500 Club

Unread postby johndeere506 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:12 pm

Thanks Dan. I actually did setup on the truck bucks travel route today, same one I saw him use up, and you can see his path and rubs down. Nobody showed. Sleet and rain all day was brutal and wasn't good for movement, at least not where I was.

Tomo I'm going to hunt the point flat w all the sign, and then jump up to the ridge where it connects. I'm still new at hill country, but my setup today was perfect. Just no deer moving in the hard sleet.
Looking forward to tomo.

I think this first hill country buck might be the coolest buck for me yet if I can just get in the right time. Thanks to you and other members help, but it make total sense once you get on them in the right setup.
mihunt44

Unread postby mihunt44 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:24 am

how big of a hill do you need to be expecting this type of travel tendency? im looking at a piece of public along a river where the woods funnel down between the water and an ag field. total elevation change looks to be about 50'. would you still expect to see the deer traveling up near the top of the hill given the correct wind direction?

thanks in advance
mihunt44

Unread postby mihunt44 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:25 am

how big of a hill do you need to be expecting this type of travel tendency? im looking at a piece of public along a river where the woods funnel down between the water and an ag field. total elevation change looks to be about 50'. would you still expect to see the deer traveling up near the top of the hill given the correct wind direction?

thanks in advance

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”