Unique Private Land Opportunity

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

TreestandTwerkers

Unique Private Land Opportunity

Unread postby TreestandTwerkers » Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:04 am

Ok, ready for this one? I know someone who is willing to let me be the only hunter on her 3.2 acres, that's right, 3.2. LOL, right? Wrong.. So here's the setup.. Her house is on the property, as well as 2 outbuildings and an old small house as well. To the east is a cemetery, to the south is a county road with cut fields south of that. To the west is probably 150 yds of prairie grass and west of that is another cemetery. To the immediate north is standing corn on private and that goes north for a bit. It was standing as of Sunday. To the north and northwest of her property line is an expanse of great wildlife habitat. 32 acres due north and another 32 acre chunk west of that. I went down there with the understanding that I was able to have sole access to that 32 acres, but there was a misunderstanding from the liaison only to find out that I have access to this land owner's yard, the 3.2 acres, not 32 acre private due north. LOL.. Ok, now some good news. To the east is a county road heading NB/SB. East of that is public bow-only for deer. I'm in Midwest. The public piece has potential but I have not scouted. We drove around the north edge and saw 2 young does not 50 yards away. So there's that.. South of that is a refuge allowing no hunting at all.... This public piece gets some attention but population density is not high in that part of state. It's a 2.5 hr drive one-way for me. Now, this lady land owner sees deer on her yard all the time. I scouted her piece and it took all but 5 minutes. She has a line of trees going SB/NB that line up her west property edge. At the north side, there is another line of trees going West and East, making an upside down L shape. She sees deer bedded on her yard on this little hill west of her garage driveway. I saw the beds. There is deer scat on the north side that I found, and several trails come in from the prairie grass/bedding private land that's immediately west and goes north. Up there to north is a winding creek and all this awesome habitat. The land owners sell rights for people to access and hunt their land, cost depends on species. They apparently practice QDM and only allow 10 points or better whitetails to be harvested out of there. Now, at the northwest corner of this 3.2 acres, where the tree lines meet, there are 2 licking branches and 4-5 active scrapes. The land owner sees does and bucks on her yard. She witnessed 2 buck fights in her yard this year. Latest update is the big boy was back and he must be huge because my liaison said it was described as a cow. The latest report before that, I was told, is that a nice buck came in through her yard from the east cemetery.. The trees are big enough to climb and no doubt, there will be asking for permission to pull a deer out of the QDM private land but I asked about that and it didnt appear to be an issue. Now, what do I do? It seems to be sporadic, random visits from deer on her property.... but active scrapes for sure. Active trails coming in/out at that NW corner... Do I literally drive there, get out my gear, walk the 60 yards to the north tree line, climb up a tree and be hunting in her backyard within 15 minutes? Like...really? I can take some time and hunt/scout that public archery only area as well while I'm down there... but that aside... what do I do about this 3.2 acres? Set up when? It's 2.5 hour drive. I think she said I could stay over but that feels a bit intrusive so maybe get a cheap motel in town, which is close by.. anyways... what do I do about this unique private land opportunity?

Jwjack0128

Re: Unique Private Land Opportunity

Unread postby Jwjack0128 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:20 am

I’m not sure how often you’ve hunted small residential tracts like this, but you may be surprised. I live in northeast Georgia in the suburbs and most of my spots are similar to what you are describing this property as(2-5 acres.). If you think about it, residential property and suburbs honestly create transitions lines for deer. When those deer feel pressure I’m sure they use that 3.2 acres. I’m 30 and have bowhunted the suburbs for 15 years. My daddy has done it for longer than that. It’s fun. The cool part is you never know what may cruise through. The 2.5 hour drive part sounds crappy though.
mspaci

Unread postby mspaci » Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:34 am

My old 5 acre piece we had in Westchester was good for about 20 bucks over the years, some real slammers too. Give it a try, Mike
TreestandTwerkers

Unread postby TreestandTwerkers » Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:25 am

Yes, giving it a try is on the radar...but howso? What, sit all day in there like that? Lol the whole thing seems ridiculous but there's obvious potential... Or set up in morning dark, sit til dark, or sit for morning and go scout/hunt that public across the road and come back for evening maybe? Sierra, I don't know..
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:17 am

If you have no issues sitting in some lady's back yard, you might get the buck of a lifetime.

At least set a camera or two and see what it shows.

When the deer runs off the property - how you gonna get it? Just go and get it or follow all the land laws?
Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:59 am

I think trying to get a pattern will be the best bet. Rut may not be te best time with it being a little random, but does sound like the sign is there. Even if they are used to her being in the yard, they will figure out they are being hunted quick, in my experience, so think like any beast sit, you have one or two shots to get it done on any good buck using it, so do your best to read the best situation for him to be there and hit it. I suppose if the big boy is coming through random per observation you could just do a few all day sits and wait, but sitting a yard for a couple of straight days sounds a little painful to me.
TreestandTwerkers

Unread postby TreestandTwerkers » Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:09 am

GOT THE PLAN. Keep ya'll posted.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”