Bumping Deer

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Trout
500 Club

Bumping Deer

Unread postby Trout » Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:43 pm

The good news, I've never seen so many different bucks. The other good news, I'm seeing most of them literally within 30yds of the place I planned on setting up based on map scouting only. The bad news, they're running away cause I'm bumping them as I'm coming in. Not really discouraged, in fact I'm encouraged as I feel like I am really close to what I need to be doing.

On the morning hunts, I'm getting close in the dark, then finding a tree in grey light, evenings I'm coming in right after work or scouting my way in trying to be set up as early as possible but at least 2 or 3 hours before dark.

I think this will happen less next year based off of what I'm learning about these new places this year, and I'll have better plans going in from making these mistakes, but was wondering if you guys have any tips to prevent bumping deer?

ghoasthunter
500 Club

Re: Bumping Deer

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:44 pm

Trout wrote:The good news, I've never seen so many different bucks. The other good news, I'm seeing most of them literally within 30yds of the place I planned on setting up based on map scouting only. The bad news, they're running away cause I'm bumping them as I'm coming in. Not really discouraged, in fact I'm encouraged as I feel like I am really close to what I need to be doing.

On the morning hunts, I'm getting close in the dark, then finding a tree in grey light, evenings I'm coming in right after work or scouting my way in trying to be set up as early as possible but at least 2 or 3 hours before dark.

I think this will happen less next year based off of what I'm learning about these new places this year, and I'll have better plans going in from making these mistakes, but was wondering if you guys have any tips to prevent bumping deer?

sometimes holding back and making observation sits is best plan just dont setup where they might be entering from in mornings or they might not go back. ill do this if i feel the buck is routinely bedding there same wind or lots of sign or lack of thats too hard to decipher. i did that tonight figured id setup back where i could watch the whole bedding with glass. im glad i did i had a nice 3 year old heavy rack six stand up at 80 yards and come within 40 also saw a smaller buck exit then way deep in the ridge i spotted the boss get up and exit on his own trail. tomorrow ill be hitting his side where he entered a hedge row 90 yards from his bed.
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:48 am

I have learned from a few exp and others to setup and have patience. They do come back and quicker than youd expect. Not always but an example ill give is bumped same one twice, in the same day - with plenty of light left and he came back on my camera 3 hours later. BH4L shot his buck this year after jumping it 40 mins after it came right back. You just cant let them get your scent.

If you jump one in the later hours, take them time and get the setup on him. Come back the next morning and get in early. Try a bump n dump. Might as well experiment while your doing it.

Yes - I do think you will have better luck next season if you put the work in this spring. However I would def mark these spots and use that intel for next year. Also remember a young buck could be a shooter next year. Could work out great for you
superblackhawk

Unread postby superblackhawk » Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:41 pm

different type of bump.

driving down back road saw buck bedded, backed up and it was a monster. hopped up and ran a good ways. would anyone expect him to return?

Going back up Thursday, may give the area a few hours just in case... getting late in PA

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”