Rookie hunter asking for advise...

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

EzJ304

Rookie hunter asking for advise...

Unread postby EzJ304 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:21 am

I have hunted for 3 years now... First year went out blind, got lucky and got a spike 30 mins after sun rise... 2nd year I hunted where I was told to and got a doe... This year I seen a few tracks and lucked out on a doe... But I need advise... So far its all been by luck or someone else's Intel... How do I find "the perfect spot" on my own??? I'm not picky on what I get... I hunt for food... But I would like to get that one big buck... So ny info on how I can fimd him would be great... Also... I'm in west virginia... Is any of the rut during rifle season? If so then when is it? Thanks for your info :-)

Mgaspari

Re: Rookie hunter asking for advise...

Unread postby Mgaspari » Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:38 am

Start by YouTube - Hunting Beast or Dan Infalt. That should get you headed in right direction. They best part of your situation is no bad habits to correct, you can learn to right way the first time.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:06 am

Lots of walking!!! It sucks to hear but scouting is the key and a game changer. Knowing where NOT to be is one part of it. Go jump some deer too! Its all about finding those preffered areas. If you are hunting now and its the rut going on then find the best doe bedding areas and setup in between them based on wind direction.
mike_mc
500 Club

Unread postby mike_mc » Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:38 am

Check out Dan's DVDs in the store and the greatest tatics thread that's pinned in the deer hunting forum.
Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:14 am

There is LOADS of good info here and elsewhere on the internet to give you a massive headstart compared to just 5-10 years ago. That said, big bucks take hard work (or lots of money). Read some of the profiles of the most successful hunters on here and you will see some took a decade or more to start killing big bucks when they started out. If you don't have a primo piece of ground, it just takes effort. Could absolutely luck into a big one any time, but usually that kind of success is fleeting until you work at it. Sounds like you have done very well for starting out, just keep at it, keep learning, keep scouting and it comes togeether.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:45 am

Good advice so far. I'm new too, but I have all the DVDs and have soaked up tons of info here. I've seen more deer and found beds when I never would've previously. I'm getting closer to having a solid shooting opportunity not being down to good fortune. I may or might get one, but I think I shaved years off my learning curve through that approach.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
Tufrthnails
500 Club

Unread postby Tufrthnails » Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:21 am

WV I'm assuming you are hunting hill country. The Hill country Bedding DVD in the HB store would pay you massive dividends in cutting your learning curve.
Tuf- The below average hunting beast

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”