Can you get too high?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

USMC0621

Can you get too high?

Unread postby USMC0621 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:29 am

Legend:

Green line: rubs and scrape line
Yellow line: deer trail
Way-point: Original location I planned on setting up

Scenario
I hunted this location Saturday never scouted except online. My plan was to hunt on the Point where my waypoint is located since it was around the 1/3 from the top with the transition of cover behind it I thought it would be a nice setup. I accessed this Point from the South walking the ridge line for over a half Mile (only way to access this spot). As I was walking there deer trails along the 2000 feet elevation running along the ridge top as illustrated in the picture BUT There was no fresh deer signs such as droppings scrapes etc.
I decided to drop down to the 1800 elevation where I planned to hunt and there were hardly any trails at all or any sign so I kept dropping further and further down until the 1600 elevation mark and then I got a heavy used trail with fresh scrapes rubs. Then ran into another heavy used trail along the 1400 elevation with fresh sign.

++The 1/3 I know is just to get you in the ballpark on where to start looking and always seems to work for me++

My confusion is that there are deer trails right of the ridgeline and deer trails closer to the bottom with lots of sign but not in the usual expecting location.

Questions

1.) Is it common for deer to bed that high up and travel right under the top of the ridge line And then drop down to and start making fresh sign?
2.) Or are the deer bedding more further down where i started finding more sign?

Thanks everyone I'm new to this type of hunting its addicting im having way more success compared to what i use to.

Hunter271995

Re: Can you get too high?

Unread postby Hunter271995 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:01 pm

What is the hunting pressure like on that property? We see in the hill country we have that deer with pressure use the lower areas when there is pressure up high. Same goes for when there is pressure down low, they move up high. Also have seen where bucks will work down low along a creek bottom or base of a hill trying to catch a hot doe this time of year. If there is no pressure that is causing that movement, what are some reasons for the deer to be using the lower elevations? Thick stuff to bed in? Easier travel to and from food? Good luck out there though, have fun figuring out the puzzle.
Zig when they Zag, Zag when they Zig

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”