Some Lessons Must Be Learned The Hard Way

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

WiWhitetail

Some Lessons Must Be Learned The Hard Way

Unread postby WiWhitetail » Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:27 pm

Like many hunters I spend a lot of time preparing for the hunt. Countless hours reading, studying maps, watching videos, and thinking through the various scenarios that might play out. I have always been a pretty good gun hunter and a very average bow hunter. I have always had friends who were much wiser to hunt with. Things are different now which is why I will be adapting beast tactics next season.

This season I only have one stand to hunt. It is a large two person ladder stand on my parents property. My primary focus was to take my six year old hunting which I did several weeks ago.

Fast forward to today. Arrived last night and sat for a couple hours this morning with no activity. Pulled camera cards and have lots of afternoon activity mainly does and small bucks. Three different nicer bucks on camera as well. By nicer we are talking 8 points and 16” spread.

So this afternoon I head out. Right away I can tell wind is wrong for the stand but it was my last evening to bow hunt so why not.

Got into the stand and hang my bow up and put all my things on the seat to my left. Remember this is a big ladder stand. This was my first of several mistakes. Sitting in the right seat gives me good cover from the north and west but silhouettes me from the south east. It also makes it hard to see in that direction as I need to look over my shoulder.

I had a small button buck running around me all afternoon. Around 4pm I was half asleep as I only got a couple of hours sleep last night. Another mistake. Anyways he something. Behind me and look over my shoulder expecting to see the button buck, instead I see the largest buck of my life closing in. He is 50-60 yards and if he keeps coming will cross behind my stand at 10 yards. I need to get ready.

Because of my safety strap I had to completely turn around to shoot. I had hoped the thick cover he was moving in would conceal my movement. Nope, get turned and he is at 35-40 yards in thick brush looking right at me. Now I can see how big he is 12 points each tine over 12”. Beautiful sun bleached rack.

We stare for what felt like an hour but was really probably only a minute or two and the. He turned and trotted away. I tried a quick grunt and he stopped broadside in a nice opening (I wished it was fun season) and then walked away.

Heartbroken I immediately started to evaluate what happened.

1. I didn’t readjust my bow holder for sitting by myself. I could have concealed my movement had I been sitting more to the left.

2. Ladder stands make poor bow stands. Had I been in a hang on bow stand I could have stayed close to the tree. The bench seat in my ladder stand forces you to stand out on the tip of the platform reducing cover.

3. Be ready to shoot all the time. I was tired and falling asleep. I was not ready to make a shot when the opportunity presented.

4. Practice on smaller deer. I have let a lot of smaller deer walk. I now consider ever deer an opportunity to practice getting up and in position to shoot. I draw but don’t release. I did this on two other smaller bucks this evening. Both were also learning experiences.

5. Know what the wind is doing. Dan emphasizes this in his videos. I new the wind was wrong for this stand and even though the buck didn’t wind me, have came from that direction because of the wind direction.

Being lazy and complacent cost my a potential opportunity at a once in a lifetime buck. :-(

On a positive note, at least I saw a great buck. Maybe I will get another crack at him this season or next.

Daniel

wolverinebuckman
500 Club

Re: Some Lessons Must Be Learned The Hard Way

Unread postby wolverinebuckman » Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:31 pm

The key is to take away from the mistakes, and not repeat them. Good luck!
Bummer of a birthmark, Hal.
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:33 pm

wolverinebuckman wrote:The key is to take away from the mistakes, and not repeat them. Good luck!

Yep. Making mistakes is fine. Making the same one just wastes time
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:47 pm

Welcome to the club! :D Don’t feel bad. I know what it’s like. Sat in a ladder last year in my first time hunting from a tree stand. I was sitting with the gun rail down like my buddy who owned the stand suggested. Only he had a crossbow.

Eight pointer comes in, I get ready to draw and my bow gets stuck on the gun rail. :doh: :lol: Could only watch as he walked less than 10 yards away. He went behind a tree, at which point I stood and drew, but he never presented another shot.

Hard way indeed. It stings for a bit, but you won’t make the same mistakes again. Learn from them and move on.

I partially solved my problem by getting a mobile setup. The freedom is better than the lack of a gun rail. :D
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
Liberty-Hunt
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/liberty.hunt.188

Unread postby Liberty-Hunt » Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:33 pm

Good post! We learn by making mistake...
One point; because we are passionate, we want to be there and play... But, never loose in your mind to think about the consequences of our acts...

Good luck on that big buck! You'll get him! 8-)
"Huntingly",
L-H

GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH!
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:59 am

You've got a good list of "mistakes". I prefer to call it a learning curve.

You now have a target buck. Hope you see him again.
ThePreBanMan
500 Club

Unread postby ThePreBanMan » Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:08 am

I have to learn everything the hard way it seems most times...

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”