Small bedding area pressure

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Wild public
Facebook: Joe Mckinney

Small bedding area pressure

Unread postby Wild public » Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:02 pm

So since I filled my buck tag already I thought I would do some scouting on another area. I found a clump of laurel on a little hump on the side of a leeward ridge ,,,,not a big spot at all. There is a decent buck using it to bed there ..from the looks of the sign he used it regularly last year as well. Only one big bed and his rubs. Looks like he shifts around in the bed based on wind. His exit trail is well established. I could ambush him about 70 yards or so up the hill. Only problem is I have no shooting lanes. I can cut shooting lanes here. But Do I risk putting too much pressure on this little spot if I go back and mess around. It looks like he may be the only deer using it. I’m used to hunting larger areas with several beds .. I’m pretty sure I ran him out today. I could go back to prep the spot on an east wind but would still leave scent. What’s everyone’s thoughts. Thx

greenhorndave
500 Club

Re: Small bedding area pressure

Unread postby greenhorndave » Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:06 pm

While I haven’t had the same experience, my hunch is a lot of the established beasts here would tell you to mark the coordinates in a GPS, then pay the area a visit in Feb or March to see if he’s still there and do some cutting at that time.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
Wild public
Facebook: Joe Mckinney

Re: Small bedding area pressure

Unread postby Wild public » Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:32 pm

Thanks. I did gps it. Ideally I would just leave it alone until time to hunt next year ,,but almost impossible to hunt without cutting shooting lanes. If I thought this was primary bedding it wouldn’t bother me to go back. But since only appears to be used by one deer and a lot of other spots in area seem to set up good for bedding,but don’t seem to be used. I wonder if he will just relocate with any pressure. I guess I will prep it and try to monitor next year from distance for rubline. Time will tell

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”