EverCalm

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

jhpa

EverCalm

Unread postby jhpa » Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:57 am

I've tried the scent drags and all the other market craze stuff, but have never really had luck with it. The only product I have used that seemed to help was Deer Dander by Team Fitzgerald. The deer don't necessarily come into it, but I've had deer walk downwind and not twitch a muscle. I think it can calm the paranoia if they think other deer were in the same area after the human smell.

With the rut coming, I'd like to hunt some leeward ridges but the wind is not forecasted to be very helpful on the days I can hunt and in the terrain I will be hunting, namely W wind on long E-W ridges.

It had me thinking about the Deer Dander again. It seems like EverCalm is supposed to be a similar product. Has anyone ever tried it? Had any success or failure?

matt1336
500 Club

Re: EverCalm

Unread postby matt1336 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:37 am

It’s so hard to determine what part of your success can be given to a store bought product, especially scents and scent elimination products. Different deer act differently. Thermals and wind in different areas act differently. Scenting conditions are different day to day. To say that a deer or a group of deer on a certain day were fooled either completely or to an extent because of a product that was being used, imo is nothing more than a guess.
I am a firm believer that an intelligent, well planned hunt will beat a hunt where the hunter is counting on a store product to bring him success.
I’m not saying that there is no room for SOME of these products. But If I bought it and used ever calm I would still try my best to plan a bullet proof access and hunt the wind/thermals just as I would if I weren’t using the product. I’d use it as an enhancer to my hunt. I wouldn’t use it hoping it’d fool a buck, cuz it likely won’t. That’s why I’m not using that stuff. Save your money for something that’s gonna get you in the tree, undetected and in the game. Like some beast sticks, a stand, a saddle, new boots....
rfickes87
500 Club

Unread postby rfickes87 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:49 am

If you think it can help you, and it boosts your confidence then go for it. However, I would still think hard on your access and plan as smartly as possible. Obviously don't have a false sense of security that the product 100% works.

That's how i feel about any type of pixie dust product.

I'm planning a trip to Ohio for next week and I'll admit I bought some tinks #69 doe pee to drag in on my boots for my 1.5 mile walk in. I'll probably hang it too once i get to my potential stand site. But i'm not banking my hunt around it at all. I'm just doing it b/c i think it can't hurt. I'll be set up on a pre scouted leeward ridge in a cruising area that connects multiple bedding areas.
"Pressure and Time. That's all it takes, really. Pressure, and time..."
cw2gsp

Unread postby cw2gsp » Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:09 am

matt1336 wrote:It’s so hard to determine what part of your success can be given to a store bought product, especially scents and scent elimination products. Different deer act differently. Thermals and wind in different areas act differently. Scenting conditions are different day to day. To say that a deer or a group of deer on a certain day were fooled either completely or to an extent because of a product that was being used, imo is nothing more than a guess.
I am a firm believer that an intelligent, well planned hunt will beat a hunt where the hunter is counting on a store product to bring him success.
I’m not saying that there is no room for SOME of these products. But If I bought it and used ever calm I would still try my best to plan a bullet proof access and hunt the wind/thermals just as I would if I weren’t using the product. I’d use it as an enhancer to my hunt. I wouldn’t use it hoping it’d fool a buck, cuz it likely won’t. That’s why I’m not using that stuff. Save your money for something that’s gonna get you in the tree, undetected and in the game. Like some beast sticks, a stand, a saddle, new boots....

Absolute spot on!
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:21 am

I put evercalm on my rubber boots when I walk thru grass - have had deer feeding where I walked an hour or so earlier. IMO, it works or it helps. It isn't an attractant, maybe more like deer may have crossed since you walked there. :?:

Buddy of mine is hunting a spot he has to wade to - walks 50 feet on dry land and the raccoons, a bobcat, and quite a few deer have all reacted to his scent trail. He said a 6 hr old scent trail spooked deer but an 11 hour scent trail did not. Would evercalm help the animals be a little less anxious? Maybe?

I also tried preorbital scents to make a licking branch and had no success. Never had a deer come to a rut scent.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:28 am

It is one one the few things I would consider using other than actual tarsals off deer I or friend/family harvested. Evercalm is good stuff, smells exactly like a deer.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
gunner24

Unread postby gunner24 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:47 am

I use it. rub some on my boots and bottom of my boots. I notice the deer tend to be less anxious when they cross where I have walked.
jhpa

Unread postby jhpa » Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:48 am

That's more what I was asking. Obviously, there is no competitor for a clean access and a deer approaching from upwind.

I'm just hunting a ridge that gets a lot of activity from above and below, so my access is the most likely to be clean, but very possibly not. Also, there is bedding along the length of the ridge so no guarantee that a deer would be more likely to approach from upwind than downwind. Just logical thinking made me wonder if a deer herd odor would potentially have a calming effect and make a deer more likely to ignore a faint human odor they catch occasionally. Not expecting it to be a miracle product.
SC_z7

Unread postby SC_z7 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:51 am

I have used EverCalm the last few years. I would echo what most have said. It is not an attractant, but it does seem to help with deer that cross your scent trail, specifically on field access routes. It has done nothing for me when deer are down wind so it definitely has its limitations. I can't think of a time that i have had the situation with a mature buck, but i know i have had a few 2/3 year olds stop and smell and then continue on their path once they have crossed the trail.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:20 am

Best thing I have ever found for a deer not cutting my track is a pair of all rubber chest waders. That said there hot and uncomfy so I just pay attention to where I put my feet and what my wind is blowing up against. In reguards to the hunting situation u described where you are gonna have to blow straight down the pipe. I would spend the money u planned on buying scents with on a xtra stick stick and get as high as u can ethically shoot. Think u would see better results.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:44 am

Well said matt.

I had a 2 yo buck come in right where I walked and didn't bat an eye. I haven't washed my pants in over a week and I had hiking boots on. Some deer don't care, usually the young ones.

Ever calm sure does smell like a deer. I keep getting sticks for Christmas :D
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:06 pm

i used too use it when i was younger it probably did work too some degree. i used too rub a line on the back of my tree from nose too head. when deer got down wind they still smelled me but they dint blow they just changed direction and when another way. one thing i do think can work is tarsal glands from bucks and does. i mainly use it on my boots and in scrapes during the rut. i collect the hocks from my local deer processor then i pack them tight in a mason jar and dump in boiling water and cap it for 3 or 4 hours. then i splash the tea on my boots walk a hundred yards too the scrape and dump the rest of the liquid right on it. trail cam shows a lot of bucks checking the scrape for a couple weeks after i do it. it can make a real good pinch point out in the big woods even works in the Adirondacks. you just can leave the brew sit long you need too use it right away the boiling water helps kill off the human odors. its not removing all your smell but one a bunch of deer move threw they cover it up themselves too the point that any remaining odor you have there is not as alarming too them.
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
sureshotscott
500 Club

Unread postby sureshotscott » Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:03 pm

So these Evercalm sticks aren't deodorant? :o
218er
500 Club

Unread postby 218er » Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:14 pm

I’ve used them both but don’t know I f they help or not. They don’t hurt but do they really cover anything? Probably not. I know guys that swear the deer are more calm in their presence when using either. I’ll admit to having both in my pack occasionally.
Persistence is undefeated.
mipubbucks24
500 Club

Unread postby mipubbucks24 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:54 pm

Can’t say anything about evercalm because I know nothing about it. What I can say is since I found the beast I am in on way more deer and 2 observations I have is;

1. I am yet to see a deer spook from my ground scent. I don’t do anything special, I just wear rubber boots and they go in the woods or in my vehicle. I have watched deer cross my ground scent at least 20 times already this season, even had a mature buck stand right where I bushwhacked through some brush just an hour before and he did nothing.

2. Deer get down wind all the time and don’t spook. It just depends on the deer, more mature are more skittish, but it seems like each deer is different based on its past encounters with human scent. Also I do no scent control anymore. I think scent control products get a lot of credit for the fact that in most areas in the Midwest deer smell people all the time, and don’t always react negatively to it.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”