Calm/Light & Varible Winds, Wind Tunnel

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

swwave24

Calm/Light & Varible Winds, Wind Tunnel

Unread postby swwave24 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:47 am

I’m hunting in hill county.

I’ve been really struggling with stand placements on heavy/cloudy air days with calm/light varible winds. I’m struggling with hunting above the thermal tunnel, when the wind is blow strong enough to make scent go over the tunnel. But with 0-5 mph winds. The wind doesn’t seem strong enough to go over the tunnel.

Any suggestions for that 830am-430pm time period on where to place stand. Go higher in the tree? Move more towards the ridge top? I know there are many variables of course.

Another observation is with low or calm winds, I’ve noticed bucks tend to travel/cruise more scattered. I notice bucks cruising bottom, wind tunnel, and ridge top. Without a strong wind tunnel effect.

Thoughts?

Bigb
500 Club

Re: Calm/Light & Varible Winds, Wind Tunnel

Unread postby Bigb » Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:02 am

I posted the same thing last week and didn't get much response. Hopefully you can get a few more replies.

My observation last week as when the wind wasn't moving, neither were the deer.
swwave24

Unread postby swwave24 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:19 am

Bigb wrote:I posted the same thing last week and didn't get much response. Hopefully you can get a few more replies.

I had deer movement, but the movement wast from the top of the ridge to the bottom of the ridge, not move at the typical 2/3 to 3/4 of the way up the hill during that 830am to 430pm. My milkweed was just sitting in the tunnel.

Super tough days to hunt. I’ve thought about passing up on hill county those days. Atleast until the thermals drop.
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:18 pm

swwave24 wrote:
Bigb wrote:I posted the same thing last week and didn't get much response. Hopefully you can get a few more replies.

I had deer movement, but the movement wast from the top of the ridge to the bottom of the ridge, not move at the typical 2/3 to 3/4 of the way up the hill during that 830am to 430pm. My milkweed was just sitting in the tunnel.

Super tough days to hunt. I’ve thought about passing up on hill county those days. Atleast until the thermals drop.

light and variable winds mean light and variable deer travel. hunt terrain pinches and saddles on those days spots that will funnel down movement. and remember that wind tunnel can shift on the hill based on slope angle and wind speed so its not always the upper 1/3. this is why when i setup for the wind tunnel i normally walk strait up or down i walk checking the winds till i find the swirl then setup for it. if the wind dies down or picks up during my sit i might need too cut back up or down the hill too stay in bow range.
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
swwave24

Unread postby swwave24 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:35 am

ghoasthunter wrote:
swwave24 wrote:

light and variable winds mean light and variable deer travel. hunt terrain pinches and saddles on those days spots that will funnel down movement. and remember that wind tunnel can shift on the hill based on slope angle and wind speed so its not always the upper 1/3. this is why when i setup for the wind tunnel i normally walk strait up or down i walk checking the winds till i find the swirl then setup for it. if the wind dies down or picks up during my sit i might need too cut back up or down the hill too stay in bow range.

Those are all good points man. I think your right, maybe I’ll focus typical deer funneling location, such as funnels, pinch points, saddles, and benches those days. The focus on cuts, draws, and hill sides on when the wind is a little bit higher.

I just try to avoid the obvious funnels where everybody else is.

That’s a good point. Maybe when accending to the to of the ridge I’ll throw my milkweed and see where the wind coming over that top on the lighter wind days.

Thanks for the insight!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”