Help me pick a spot/tactic for the next week

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

greenhorndave
500 Club

Help me pick a spot/tactic for the next week

Unread postby greenhorndave » Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:00 pm

I became aware of the Beast and tactics after the season started. Next year, I’m doing a field scouting seminar with Dan and getting a jump on bedding for next season.

But for this year, I have three property options. One is a private ag parcel with buck bedding on adjacent properties. I do know where doe bedding is, however, on the property I can hunt. Gets some pressure from pheasant hunters. So my main option here is to hope for cruising bucks trying horn in on does. There is a funnel around the doe bedding. I know there are a couple of 2 or 3 year olds that have been captured on cam, although at night. I saw what is probably the 3 year old J-hooking the funnel/doe bed area last season.

Second opinion is a swamp on public. 10 of the 40 acres is hardwoods along one border only and the rest is alders, tamaracks and dogwood. I’ve scouted the only hardwood island/tip going into the swamp and it had no buck sign or beds. Aerial shows possible hubs in the middle of the interior tag alder and dogwood transition, but there are no trees out there to set up in. A trio of isolated tamarcks is out beyond the alders, but those are probably not sit candidates, as they might be bedding. I know does bed in the alders/dogwood, as I was out there last Friday on the hardwood finger, got in and set up super quietly, but got silhouetted by a doe right near close of shooting. So I know they’re in there too, but probably highly pressured.

Third isn’t much of an option, in that I know of a buck bed, but the rubs are tiny, tiny, tiny. Skinny saplings and low to the ground. I’ll let that guy grow up.

So which would you try?

Option 1 of hoping for transient bucks in known doe bed areas?

Or,

Option 2 of pushing back into the swamp toward the tamarcks and dogwood, hoping to find buck sign while still hunting from the ground and hoping not to spook more does on the way in?

Option 3 is to hit completely new areas to me on public in hope of finding areas not being hunted and coming across bedding areas, most likely in swamps again?

What would you take a crack at and in what order and why?

My deer education has accelerated so fast thanks to y’all, but I won’t be able to have better bedding intel until off season, most likely.

----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”