Still hunting or scouting the night before.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Onemanwolphpack

Still hunting or scouting the night before.

Unread postby Onemanwolphpack » Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:38 am

I'm in the big woods up north and am thinking about still hunting an area tonight as a way to scout for the morning set up and all day sit tomorrow. Was wondering if anyone does this with success, or will my scent affect the deer coming back to bed in the am? The area is the down wind side of some doe bedding pockets. Hoping to have a buck come thru checking does tomorrow. Thanks for any advice.

Crazinamatese

Re: Still hunting or scouting the night before.

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:06 am

My concern would be leaving a scent path that could affect tomorrow's set up. I done the same thing a few season's back though. Found a hot scrape with big tracks on a narrow ridge. Came in the next morning, set up, and met the big buck that was working that ridge line. Didn't kill him but timing, entry was perfect, and luck was on my side. I don't know if I could ever pull off something that perfect again.
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
Ognennyy
500 Club

Re: Still hunting or scouting the night before.

Unread postby Ognennyy » Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:58 am

In-season scouting is great but it sounds to me like you already have great intel! If I were in your spot I'd go in and set up with the intent to kill, dropping as little scent over the area as possible. Good luck brother.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”