Hunting doe bedding area.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Raven13

Hunting doe bedding area.

Unread postby Raven13 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:23 am

I just recently found doe bedding area. There are 6 beds scattered around a small area that looks to be used regularly, on what would be a knoll or a knob.
This knob is on a hillside. Really not a real point. Very small knob. Below is a couple homes and a small stream.
To left of the knob was an old clear cut that is now grown up. Not really thick any longer. I did find a few sporadic beds there about 80yards away from the knob. The knob the doe bed on is not thick at all. There a few old down trees there. Laying in around them. They can see pretty well in all directions. Directly behind them it is just a little patch of thicker cover, but not much. To the left is a very small slight ditch. But with no water.

To the right where the doe bed is it’s very steep hillside more than what it is below the doe beds and numerous trails paralleling the hillside over there, And goes up slightly. The doe are bedding lower actually.
Behind this knob is a gradually tapering upward hardwood hill that goes up to another drop off. Very very steep. This is about 400 yards behind the knob the doe bed on. There is a narrow corner of a grass field up there. Another’s property.
So this is not a classic heavy cover doe bedding area. Where I can set the edge of the heavy thicket on the down wind side. Only reason I think the doe bed there. It’s good vantage point for them to see around. Feel safe as no one pester them.
You can see the houses down below through the trees and the bottom of this hillside.

So if I wanted to set here a few sets during the rut. Should I just set in tight to those doe beds?
Or get back from them a bit?
There really no edge of heavy cover. I’m thinking a buck would cruise the parallel to the hillside. And go right through the bedding area?

This is smaller property and I found this doe bedding area on the very edge of this property.

Thoughts?

Evanszach7
500 Club

Re: Hunting doe bedding area.

Unread postby Evanszach7 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:26 pm

Bucks are most likely using a parallel trail and scent checking the doe trails wherever it meets the edge. Could be a few hundred yards away if it’s that open. Any historical “random” rubs within a couple hundred yards?
Raven13

Re: Hunting doe bedding area.

Unread postby Raven13 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:52 pm

Yes there are.
But most smaller rubs. Just recently last week to the right of this doe bedding area(200 yds) there it gets thicker. Mostly small sapling that go down to a point.
Below that point is hemlocks down to the bottoms of the hill and they meet that small stream.
To the very right of that small point is a small ravine. Thats where some rubs are. Also some on this point going both directions.
Just last week some new larger rubs showed up going down into the small ravine. 2-21/2 trees
If you would walk up that ravine at the top it starts to flatten out and is that gradual tapering hardwoods that is behind the doe bedding area I said about in my first post.

Directly above that ravine I found one single lone rub on a tree 4” or so in diameter with time gouges. But no visible trail that I could see.
Down in that ravine the point meets the bottom of the small ravine.
So it’s a downward slopping point, there is a decent trail coming down that point and also one crossing the point and going across the bottom of the ravine and continuing on to a more open hardwood flat. They head towards a smaller field that is higher in elevation that’s probably 600 yards away.
The main thing is the wind in this area usually comes from the steep hill side. This hillside/point and ravine are on the windward side.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”