High Deer Population Rut Areas

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

wiscbowhntr
500 Club

High Deer Population Rut Areas

Unread postby wiscbowhntr » Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:37 am

Last week I went on a quick 2 day scout/hunt out of town to see if I could put something together for the rut. Typically during the rut I see 0 - 3 deer in an all day sit where I live. I saw 45 in two mornings and had a 140 10 pt at 30 yards, but no shot during my trip... I have a bullet proof entry and exit and I plan on doing all day sits tomorrow and Wednesday. My thought process is with a lot of does I'd be better off getting there early in the rut and catch a buck cruising before a lot of the does go in heat and lock up a lot of the bucks. What are your thoughts on my plan? I am at a loss because I never hunted a high population area during the rut before.

phade
500 Club

Re: High Deer Population Rut Areas

Unread postby phade » Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:57 am

Moog5050 and I hunt a high deer density area. Specifically one area backs up to a large non-hunting park. Deer population is pretty darn high.

Areas that we find luck in are the pinches or funnels leading between various doe group locations; and through time, we've found specific spots that bucks like to push or tend does in - usually thick ground with some degree of visibility (to shoot). Usually these spots are in between several doe groups. I've personally seen does come in hot with a buck trailing, have them hang in the thick stuff, and from there on out, even if they leave, bucks travel into and out of it with regularity on those days.
http://www.pursuitoutdoors.com
Trail Camera Sales, Industry Updates, and Cam Troubleshooting - PM for HB pricing
phade
500 Club

Re: High Deer Population Rut Areas

Unread postby phade » Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:00 am

phade wrote:Moog5050 and I hunt a high deer density area. Specifically one area backs up to a large non-hunting park. Deer population is pretty darn high.

Areas that we find luck in are the pinches or funnels leading between various doe group locations; and through time, we've found specific spots that bucks like to push or tend does in - usually thick ground with some degree of visibility (to shoot). Usually these spots are in between several doe groups. I've personally seen does come in hot with a buck trailing, have them hang in the thick stuff, and from there on out, even if they leave, bucks travel into and out of it with regularity on those days.

I just realized my avatar...that's a buck I killed that was running in and out of those spots where does were being tended. He went by 3x that day. Third time was the charm.
http://www.pursuitoutdoors.com
Trail Camera Sales, Industry Updates, and Cam Troubleshooting - PM for HB pricing

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”