Portable Stand Pull Rope?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

hplayer13

Portable Stand Pull Rope?

Unread postby hplayer13 » Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:51 pm

Just bought an XOP to be more mobile, how do you guys rig your pull rope to have all the sticks, stand and bow connected to the rope?

JBAR

Re: Portable Stand Pull Rope?

Unread postby JBAR » Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:27 pm

Everyone has a different style to how they hang and go up the tree. Find what you are comfortable in doing.
Myself I make multiple trips up, hang my sticks, hang stand, then pull my bow, rifle, muzzleloader last. I take my time and make sure things are set up to my liking once they are and I am sitting with my harness tethered off the bow comes up.
Ognennyy
500 Club

Unread postby Ognennyy » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:15 pm

Most people will retrofit their mobile tree stands with backpack straps and / or a hip belt. Something like MOLLE2 straps (https://www.ebay.com/p/MOLLE-II-Frame-S ... 1231535991) and hip belt (https://www.ebay.com/bhp/molle-waist-belt) work nicely. I used some small caribiners to attach mine to my lone wolf alpha. So that just goes up the tree with me right on my back.

I tied two loops of 550 paracord with simple overhand knots. Then I secure those to my harness loops (where your linesman belt attaches) one on each side. After I hang my first stick at the base of the tree, I use those paracord loops to hold two of my remaining three sticks. Next I clip my pull rope (that I wind like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60efubM ... e=youtu.be) to my bow cam, and clip the other side to one of my harness loops. Now I grab my 4th stick and, holding the 4th stick in hand, climb to the top of my first stick, clip my linesman belt around the tree, and hang my 2nd stick. Then grab the sticks dangling from my harness and hang those also.

Finally I take my stand off my shoulders and hang it. As soon as that is hung I unclip my pull rope from my harness loop and clip it to the cable on the tree stand before climbing in to the stand. Now once safely in the tree and tethered in, I pull my bow up.

Notes about hanging your sticks from paracord loops attached to your harness... I use the full length lonewolf sticks. I'm 6' tall and the sticks are long enough that they drag on the ground a little until I start climbing the tree. So I never attach them to the loops until right before I begin climbing. Also sometimes if you're leaning or swaying while climbing the tree the sticks can swing around behind you and clang together, so you have to move very slowly and carefully if you want silence.

Whatever method you choose will be yours, and likely you will develop organically through repeatedly hanging tree stands for mobile hunts. You'll likely pick up one thing here and there as you learn what annoys you, and figure out how you can do it better. It can be frustrating at times. Just keep your chin up and keep at it man. You'll be climbing trees like the Tazmanian Devil in no time.
218er
500 Club

Unread postby 218er » Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:46 pm

I’m a one trip guy. My first two sticks are attached to the tree while I’m on the ground. The other two dangle off my lineman belt by a loop of paracord. Lone wolf alpha 2 is on my back, tied to it is a rope to my pack, and in the pack is a retractable line to my bow or gun. Once at desired height I strap the stand to the tree, pull up pack, and weapon of choice.
Persistence is undefeated.
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:37 pm

I've seen guys on here talking about a hook on their pull rope. It has to be for snagging stuff on the ground...
Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:07 am

Multiple trips for me. Get in early enough so I can take my time. It's not a race. I still get set up in a reasonable time.
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:11 am

Rich M wrote:I've seen guys on here talking about a hook on their pull rope. It has to be for snagging stuff on the ground...

Yep. I use one all the time. Really is valuable if you sweat a lot and don't want to climb in your full attire, or if you like dropping stuff. Can't grab everything, but its better than climbing down.

Personally, I don't know how/why guys hang stands by pulling them off the ground then hanging. Doesn't make sense to me. I just put mine on my back, climb up and hang it. I hang my first stick so the bottom step is about mid thigh, and then put the second stick as high as I can reach from the bottom step of the first stick. Don't need to tie off for that, and it gives me comfortable spacing between the sticks. Grab the next two (stealth stripped so they stick together quite well even if you only hold onto one, then climb up and hang both those sticks. Go back down, tie my dedicated pull up rope to my bow. My grapple hook hangs in a pouch on my saddle with my accessory belt (holds my quiver and other stuff). Then go up with my stand and if needed my fifth stick, and hang it. Hop in stand, cam lock, and pull up my stuff.

Some guys like one trip, I prefer multiple trips, only cause I'm not a huge fan of the stick talons with my beast sticks. Loved them with my longer xop sticks, and would do one trip then easy. Time to set up is a bit longer with multiple trips but its a breeze, and I go a lot slower and sweat less doing this. Always seemed to rush doing it in one trip.

I don't need a second pull up rope only for my bow. I just prefer to do it, since my grapple hook has exposed metal hooks (grabs clothing 10x better) and it scratches my already scratched bow, and makes metal to metal noise. The extra rope weight is negligible in the grand scheme of things.
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
Jeff25

Unread postby Jeff25 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:04 am

Stand goes on my back, sticks go on the loops on my rock climbing harness, bow goes on the pull up rope. You can also make loops out of paracord on your harness to put the sticks on. To keep the bow rope from tangling I make a figure 8 between my thumb and pinky until it’s close to the stand then with what’s left over I wrap around itself and then clip the carabiner through on of the loops of the figure 8
Raven13

Unread postby Raven13 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:18 am

I hang my first 2 sticks, up n down. The put my stand on my back with my other stick in my hand or hanging on my climbing rock climbing harness.
Pull up rope attached to my harness n bow n pack. That’s all I pull up. I don’t mind going up n after I put up the second stick.
Thesouthpaw
500 Club

Unread postby Thesouthpaw » Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:42 am

I put my first to sticks up, then put my stand on my back. Then I tie my other two sticks to my safety harness and climb the tree in one trip. I have a rope attached to my fanny pack, and a rope attached from my pack to my bow. I only make one trip up the tree.
Anything worth doing, is worth over doing.
justin84
500 Club

Unread postby justin84 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:04 am

Thesouthpaw wrote:I put my first to sticks up, then put my stand on my back. Then I tie my other two sticks to my safety harness and climb the tree in one trip. I have a rope attached to my fanny pack, and a rope attached from my pack to my bow. I only make one trip up the tree.

That's pretty much what I do too, except I tie my bow rope to my stand.
RiverBottoms
500 Club

Unread postby RiverBottoms » Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:10 am

I bought an HME pull up rope and tied it to the platform of my stand, I wrap it around the batwing when I pack everything up. Works great except whatever rope materials these guys used is a snag/tangle magnet. One trip up the tree for me unless I have a big back pack for an all day sit.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”