Camo patterns. Does it make a difference?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Dewey

Re: Camo patterns. Does it make a difference?

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:08 am

Bowhunting Brian wrote:I don't see any crazy camo in most nature. Deer blend very well and so do predators. They don't have crazy camo coats. Being still and having cover is what I go by. Animals, especially deer see different than us. Camo patterns catch hunters more than deer. People are suckers for marketing. That's why companies do it.

Lets see you stalk a mule deer or pronghorn out in the western plains without some type of camo if you believe it doesn’t really work. Wear some blue jeans and a red flannel shirt just to make it interesting. Report back and let us know how many animals you succesfully stalked within bow range of. ;)

adudeuknow

Unread postby adudeuknow » Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:17 am

Dewey wrote:
Bowhunting Brian wrote:I don't see any crazy camo in most nature. Deer blend very well and so do predators. They don't have crazy camo coats. Being still and having cover is what I go by. Animals, especially deer see different than us. Camo patterns catch hunters more than deer. People are suckers for marketing. That's why companies do it.

Lets see you stalk a mule deer or pronghorn out in the western plains without some type of camo if you believe it doesn’t really work. Wear some blue jeans and a red flannel shirt just to make it interesting. Report back and let us know how many animals you succesfully stalked within bow range of. ;)

:D :D :D :lol: :lol: :lol:
"I knew all the rules but the rules did not know me."
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:40 am

Native Americans and the original settlers of this country did alright for themselves. No Camo.
I think a good pattern helps when you’re hunting a tree that resembles a telephone pole. But backcover, staying still and paying attention trumps all. Being smart with what you do is the most important factor when you’re trying to kill a deer. Pick a good spot, pick a good tree, use your brain and pay attention- these things will helpkill more deer than any piece of equipment. Obviously...sorry for getting off topic.
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:40 am

Native Americans and the original settlers of this country did alright for themselves. No Camo.
I think a good pattern helps when you’re hunting a tree that resembles a telephone pole. But backcover, staying still and paying attention trumps all. Being smart with what you do is the most important factor when you’re trying to kill a deer. Pick a good spot, pick a good tree, use your brain and pay attention- these things will helpkill more deer than any piece of equipment. Obviously...sorry for getting off topic.
NYBackcountry
500 Club

Unread postby NYBackcountry » Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:52 am

Very rarely are true prey animals bright colors, the majority have earthy tones to them. And most predators have natural camo as well, big cats are a great example. I think nature answers this question for us. With that said, watch predators and prey move, almost no sound and usually very calculated. When they tune in, they freeze.

Movement, camo, being quiet, etc. it all makes a difference. Like Ridge said, every little percentage adds up and helps.
NBK438

Unread postby NBK438 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:37 pm

I think it makes a difference. I've bumped deer up and while I had my coat on they seemed to look through me and settle or at least have to do more investigating vs my mostly black base layer I better have something in between us to break me up. I'm a fan of the Cabelas Outfitter pattern here in Michigan. One day I could be in a ditch, in a pine tree, high in a oak, or low in a swamp and it seems to cover the bases pretty well.
Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:21 am

Dewey wrote:

Lol Dewey. Not saying it doesn't work. I think many people over think it is all.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:07 pm

tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:09 pm

Dewey wrote:

Well luckily for me I guess I don’t hunt mule deer or pronghorn but I’ve killed my share of whitetail one blaze orange from a tree without much cover, ive also killed deer in blue jeans. I honestly am more concerned about other hunters seing me than I am Deer. Deer look up at me all the time I don’t move and they carry on about there business. If I had the choice I’d take a solid moderate to lighter grey outfit. A deer is more likely to see movement from a pattern than they are a solid color imo

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”