Hunting from the ground

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

greenhorndave
500 Club

Re: Hunting from the ground

Unread postby greenhorndave » Sat Oct 27, 2018 5:27 pm

That’s a good one. I’ve hunted from the ground a fair bit and often see deer but don’t quite get in a position to shoot due to cover, etc. So I just got a mobile setup and went out on a small finger in a swamp today, a new area for me. I thought it was an island, but closer inspection revealed it was smaller (narrower) than that. Set up in what I thought was the best tree, but they were all pretty small. Got silhouetted by a doe, just like Mario mentioned the risk was. Didn’t see any great sign, but some areas are just tough. Trees are too small for good cover in the air, and it’s hard to hide as a solid mass in and around see-through tag alders.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Oct 27, 2018 5:31 pm

Another great video Dan & Mario. 8-)

Ground hunting is pretty darn exciting when you get up close and personal with them. I agree you have to be versatile and hunt them where they are. I see bucks moving alot where there are no huntable trees. Almost like they know it's safer there.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Sat Oct 27, 2018 5:35 pm

:clap: 8-)
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:02 pm

Dan, let’s just say Mario wanted to take that buck. He has a huge advantage with a crossbow. Point and shoot.

How would you have gotten a shot off with a compound?
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
Josh_S
500 Club

Unread postby Josh_S » Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:23 pm

Being adaptable to each situation makes you a better hunter. I am hunting the majority of the time off of the ground lately because I just think it is more exciting and I prefer the shot angle when hunting with a trad bow. Although I should probably spend more time in a tree, it has definitely cost me a couple bucks over the past few years. Thanks Dan and Mario for another quality Extreme Whitetail Tactics segment.
EdC

Unread postby EdC » Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:59 pm

like always great stuff

my first couple hunts I always ground hunt to get lay of the land for night activity
and follow them back to see which bedding areas they are using

I always walk up on a buck or two those first hunts from the ground
last year I was so close to a huge buck when I creep-ed out from behind a tree
I don't know who was more surprised me or the buck
I was so close I could see as they say the whites of his eyes
I don't think I was more than 10ft from him maybe even closer

I suspect the 8point buck walked up on me rather than I did

good thing I did it this year, no acorns, no night activity at all I always see some sort of sign
this year the area I hunt is void of any activity

the deer patterns this year are different than any other year acorn or no acorns

great to be on the hunt again

Keep up the great stuff Dan and Mario
Everyone Gets Close - Few Finish The Job
creepingdeth
500 Club
Facebook: Huh?

Unread postby creepingdeth » Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:16 am

Great vid Dan...I always love to see Mario in action. He really lets us in on his thought pattern and why he is where he is, why he is, etc...I thought your words at the end were real and important.
Yesterdays common sense is no longer common
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:44 am

greenhorndave wrote:Dan, let’s just say Mario wanted to take that buck. He has a huge advantage with a crossbow. Point and shoot.

At the point where the buck turned broadside and took a few steps I would of slid the string back and shot quick. Its a shot that works well for me. I practice shooting quick, and have shot many bucks that watched me draw. There have been a few that caught me and ran quick enough to get away, but often they stop after a short distance and give a shot as the look back, and most of the time they do give you enough time to shoot. The key is patience. And waiting for the deer to give the right angle and nit being staring at you, like when he turns to look at the trail ahead to take a step.
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Sun Oct 28, 2018 2:11 am

Dewey wrote:Another great video Dan & Mario. 8-)

Ground hunting is pretty darn exciting when you get up close and personal with them. I agree you have to be versatile and hunt them where they are. I see bucks moving alot where there are no huntable trees. Almost like they know it's safer there.

X2...This is also true for me. They like the thick stuff with minimal tree's!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Sun Oct 28, 2018 2:41 am

dan wrote:
greenhorndave wrote:Dan, let’s just say Mario wanted to take that buck. He has a huge advantage with a crossbow. Point and shoot.

At the point where the buck turned broadside and took a few steps I would of slid the string back and shot quick. Its a shot that works well for me. I practice shooting quick, and have shot many bucks that watched me draw. There have been a few that caught me and ran quick enough to get away, but often they stop after a short distance and give a shot as the look back, and most of the time they do give you enough time to shoot. The key is patience. And waiting for the deer to give the right angle and nit being staring at you, like when he turns to look at the trail ahead to take a step.

Thanks, that helps.
----------
Liberty-Hunt
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/liberty.hunt.188

Unread postby Liberty-Hunt » Sun Oct 28, 2018 5:45 am

:clap: :clap: :clap:
Adaptability, learning, thinking...teaching. What else?!
8-)
"Huntingly",
L-H

GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH!
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:24 am

Great video.

That buck pegged him immediately as “something different” that didn’t belong even with the ghillie suit. Amazing animals.

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
Divergent
500 Club

Unread postby Divergent » Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:23 pm

What amazes me about ground hunting is how they respond to you even after they see you.
Pullintoobs
500 Club

Unread postby Pullintoobs » Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:12 am

What do you ground hunters sit on? Tried hunting the other day, 1st time this season. I am still on crutches after my surgery but hobbled out on 1 crutch and managed to get a stand up. Not doing that again anytime soon. Exhausted is an understatement. My foot swelled up so bad I took my boot off and couldnt get it back on. Walked out with one sock foot. Thinking I am going to stay on the ground but need something to sit on that i can get in easily. 5 gallon bucket maybe???
An unforseen future...Nestled somewhere in time

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”