Hunting from the ground

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

LateRiser

Re: Hunting from the ground

Unread postby LateRiser » Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:22 am

Have any of you guys that hunt from the ground a lot had trouble telling where the deer are coming from? I don't mean just because it's hard to see very far, but the few times I've been on the ground I could hear deer coming but it was very difficult to pinpoint exactly where they were.

Between not being able to look exactly where they are (because I can't tell), and fear of moving too much to scan a 90% area, I had a very difficult time.

To be fair, it may have been the place I was set up had weird acoustics or something, but it just seemed so much more difficult to tell where the sound was coming from.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:08 am

LateRiser wrote:Have any of you guys that hunt from the ground a lot had trouble telling where the deer are coming from? I don't mean just because it's hard to see very far, but the few times I've been on the ground I could hear deer coming but it was very difficult to pinpoint exactly where they were.

Between not being able to look exactly where they are (because I can't tell), and fear of moving too much to scan a 90% area, I had a very difficult time.

To be fair, it may have been the place I was set up had weird acoustics or something, but it just seemed so much more difficult to tell where the sound was coming from.

Its a lot harder to hear deer coming, see deer coming, or tell where sound is coming from... Sound is blocked and bounced off vegetation, trees, terrain, etc.
Scratchman

Unread postby Scratchman » Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:05 pm

I shot my first deer from the ground last year. Walking in wearing a sleeveless t shirt with shorts covered with leafy pants. Less than ten yards. Right place right time. It was a wicked rush.
"I could eat shlapjacks every day of the weeksh, eh." Jimmer Nagamanee from Menominee
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:43 pm

Scratchman wrote:I shot my first deer from the ground last year. Walking in wearing a sleeveless t shirt with shorts covered with leafy pants. Less than ten yards. Right place right time. It was a wicked rush.

That is cool. The shirt sound like Infalt-like apparel.

Was the place you shot it somewhere you deliberately planned or did you just play it by ear until you found a spot and set up then?
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
JWandling
Facebook: Jason Wandling

Unread postby JWandling » Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:26 pm

This is my West Virginia buck from last season. I found his bed and set up on the ground about 75 yards away with an hour before dark. I did some light grunts and about 10 minutes later he came grunting in. I missed the first shot and snort wheezed at him. He started busting brush with his horns and came back.
JWandling
Facebook: Jason Wandling

Unread postby JWandling » Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:30 pm

This is my 2014 Ohio buck I shot while looking for a spot to hang a stand on my 17 acres.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:13 pm

Those are some dandys JW
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
Scratchman

Unread postby Scratchman » Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:34 pm

greenhorndave wrote:
Scratchman wrote:I shot my first deer from the ground last year. Walking in wearing a sleeveless t shirt with shorts covered with leafy pants. Less than ten yards. Right place right time. It was a wicked rush.

That is cool. The shirt sound like Infalt-like apparel.

Was the place you shot it somewhere you deliberately planned or did you just play it by ear until you found a spot and set up then?

I had actually never been in those woods before. It was a piece that I had cyber scouted. It was a thin piece of public along a river. The map looked good and I could tell from the other side, about 3/4 mile away, that there was a good oak stand. I paddled the river and put my pack on my back. I did not put the leafy suit on because it was 85 degrees. I climbed the 40 foot bank and saw blow downs. I started creeping forward(maybe a little too quick) and I had a doe blow. She skipped about 30 yards and looked back at me. I just froze. At this point I started hearing a caravan of canoes behind me on the river. She heard them to. I figure she thought the sound was just from that party on the water. She walked over to the edge to check them out. I was in a ditch behind a tree and she gave me a broadside at 7 yards. It was opening day and I had her in the canoes 25 minutes after the hunt started. I was a pretty awesome way to start the season.
"I could eat shlapjacks every day of the weeksh, eh." Jimmer Nagamanee from Menominee

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”