Ill be in Troy Alabama if anybody has any suggestions.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Eddiegomes83
500 Club

Ill be in Troy Alabama if anybody has any suggestions.

Unread postby Eddiegomes83 » Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:41 am

Ill be in Troy Alabama for work a few days next week as well as the week after if any beast members have any suggestions for hunting around there. Or even just decent places to eat.lol

"Am I the Only One" - Aaron Lewis

EGOutdoors youtube: https://youtube.com/channel/UClk54pzxS6MsnSTCOtTvKJg
Autiger
500 Club

Re: Ill be in Troy Alabama if anybody has any suggestions.

Unread postby Autiger » Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:00 pm

Fort Rucker has a bunch of hogs, but you need some paperwork to hunt on base. There’s also the Tuskegee National Forest, I’ve taken few slick heads and small bucks out of there back in the day and have seen one nice mature deer, but it’s been years. I live in Wisconsin, but went to Auburn in college and the ex-wife was from Enterprise so I have driven through Troy countless times.
Eddiegomes83
500 Club

Unread postby Eddiegomes83 » Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:20 pm

Autiger wrote:Fort Rucker has a bunch of hogs, but you need some paperwork to hunt on base. There’s also the Tuskegee National Forest, I’ve taken few slick heads and small bucks out of there back in the day and have seen one nice mature deer, but it’s been years. I live in Wisconsin, but went to Auburn in college and the ex-wife was from Enterprise so I have driven through Troy countless times.

Thanks. I'll have to check it out. I almost had to stay in enterprise a couple weeks ago because the hotels in Troy and Dothan were all booked because of hurricane.

hambone
500 Club

Unread postby hambone » Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:43 am

Not that this helps, unless you are thirsty, but I used to buy 'Sundrop' (soft drink) out of Dothan, when I lived in S. Alabama. Good huntin to you!
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:47 am

Interested to see what you come up with. AL is one of the SE states I have not checked off my list...
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Bogle

Unread postby Bogle » Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:35 am

Probably not much help, but I hunted private land in Troy years ago when I was a student at Auburn. There's plenty of deer in the area so the public should be decent. I currently hunt private just across the line in Georgia (from Dothan) and the whole area has a really good deer population. From what I remember if you go East from Troy the deer population got better as there was more agriculture. There also seemed to be more deer towards the Auburn/Opelika area as well.

As far as food goes, there used to be a place called "Blue Plate" in Enterprise and in Dothan that was really, really good. Also, Hunts seafood in Dothan is good, and I've lived in Florida my whole life. Dobbs BBQ (Right beside Hunts Seafood) is O.K. but its the oldest BBQ restaurant in the state of Alabama so its kind of a landmark. There is also a cool little bow shop right down the road from Dobbs and Hunts called Southeast Archery. Its not big but the owner is a really nice guy and very helpful. I think he said they were the largest PRIME dealer in the S.E.. If you dont mind a little bit of drive you can continue to head east from Dothan and eat at The Log Cabin which is just across the Chattahoochee river in Georgia. Its a tiny place and on the weekends there will be a 2.5 hour wait as the dining room will be filled with hunters and people from Dothan. However, the steak and the sweet tea are absolutely phenomenal and worth the drive. They only take cash and checks and there is no ATM.

Sorry, Im not more help.
Eddiegomes83
500 Club

Unread postby Eddiegomes83 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:40 pm

hambone wrote:Not that this helps, unless you are thirsty, but I used to buy 'Sundrop' (soft drink) out of Dothan, when I lived in S. Alabama. Good huntin to you!

Thanks

Eddiegomes83
500 Club

Unread postby Eddiegomes83 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:42 pm

Bogle wrote:Probably not much help, but I hunted private land in Troy years ago when I was a student at Auburn. There's plenty of deer in the area so the public should be decent. I currently hunt private just across the line in Georgia (from Dothan) and the whole area has a really good deer population. From what I remember if you go East from Troy the deer population got better as there was more agriculture. There also seemed to be more deer towards the Auburn/Opelika area as well.

As far as food goes, there used to be a place called "Blue Plate" in Enterprise and in Dothan that was really, really good. Also, Hunts seafood in Dothan is good, and I've lived in Florida my whole life. Dobbs BBQ (Right beside Hunts Seafood) is O.K. but its the oldest BBQ restaurant in the state of Alabama so its kind of a landmark. There is also a cool little bow shop right down the road from Dobbs and Hunts called Southeast Archery. Its not big but the owner is a really nice guy and very helpful. I think he said they were the largest PRIME dealer in the S.E.. If you dont mind a little bit of drive you can continue to head east from Dothan and eat at The Log Cabin which is just across the Chattahoochee river in Georgia. Its a tiny place and on the weekends there will be a 2.5 hour wait as the dining room will be filled with hunters and people from Dothan. However, the steak and the sweet tea are absolutely phenomenal and worth the drive. They only take cash and checks and there is no ATM.

Sorry, Im not more help.

Thanks Bogle....what part of Florida you from? I love in the ocala/ dunnellon area. Lived here my whole life. Right now i work in orlando. Make that drive everyday.

Bogle

Unread postby Bogle » Sun Oct 28, 2018 3:44 pm

I'm Originally from Ormond Beach (Daytona Beach area), grew up out Hwy 40. Now I live on the N.side of Tampa in the Lutz/Odessa/ Land o Lakes area. We've lived over here now for the last 12 yrs but most of our family still live in the Ormond Beach/Port Orange area. That's a brutal drive and gets worse by the year!!! I cut through Ocala sometimes when Im headed to Ormond Beach. Ill hit you up sometime when I'm headed that way or you do the same if you get over this way.

If I can help you out with the Alabama stuff in any way please let me know.
vickwareagle

Unread postby vickwareagle » Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:34 am

https://www.alabamaforeverwild.com/pike ... in-complex

Public hunting in Troy, I have scouted it but never hunted it. If you go let me know how you do
swhughes81

Unread postby swhughes81 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:42 am

I lived in Troy my sophomore year of high school. I went to Pike Liberal Arts school, private school there. First time I ever hunted deer was outside Troy with a buddy. We moved back home to Indiana after my grandpa got sick to spend his last couple years with him though but it was a good experience. I remember we really liked Crowe’s Chicken. Helped get me started on my Indiana public land obsession!
Eddiegomes83
500 Club

Unread postby Eddiegomes83 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:25 am

Thanks everybody...i leave today. This one will be a short trip so i may just find a place to scout and then hunt next week when i come...i am supposed to go once a month.

Divergent
500 Club

Unread postby Divergent » Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:41 pm

PK_ wrote:Interested to see what you come up with. AL is one of the SE states I have not checked off my list...

PK if you’re ever interested in hunting Alabama just let me know. I hunt several different WMAs with a few other beast members and would be more than happy to give you some info.
Divergent
500 Club

Unread postby Divergent » Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:46 pm

Congrats on your kills so far this year. If I were in Troy, I’d head over to Barbour County for the last two weeks of dec and Jan. The last of Jan really gets hot with the rut.
Eddiegomes83
500 Club

Unread postby Eddiegomes83 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:19 am

Divergent wrote:Congrats on your kills so far this year. If I were in Troy, I’d head over to Barbour County for the last two weeks of dec and Jan. The last of Jan really gets hot with the rut.

Awesome thanks.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”