One vacation day???

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

milkweed-militia
500 Club
Facebook: Ross Brawner

One vacation day???

Unread postby milkweed-militia » Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:41 am

I am scheduled to be off tomorrow. My original plan was to hunt a piece of public until around lunch, and then fulfill the plans that I had for that afternoon. Now, the afternoon plans have been cancelled and the day will be completely free. I plan on hunting the public piece until around lunch and then going to my family's place for the evening hunt. The wind is supposed to change from east/northeast winds in the morning to westerly winds that evening. I found a big bed when scouting that sets up well for westerly winds and with wet weather in the forecast, I should be able to slip in to hunt this spot better.

My question is, do I stay off to hunt October 26th or just work and save the day for sometime in November?

This will be my only vacation day that will be used specifically for hunting and I want to make the most of it. I'm in the northern TN area. What are your guys thoughts?

Redman232

Re: One vacation day???

Unread postby Redman232 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:56 am

Up here I would rather hunt October 26th than November 6th. Generally the biggest deer I encounter every year are in the Oct 20-31 time frame. But given you are a ways south, I might consider waiting a few weeks.
Drenalin
500 Club

Unread postby Drenalin » Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:15 am

I'm in Northeast TN, and I would say my best hunting is typically in mid to late November. I save a few days of vacation so I can take the whole week of Thanksgiving off, which is good some years and a week too late other years. I have a few other days of vacation leftover, which I burn as soon as I see weather or wind conditions coming in that I want to hunt. I have no restraint...if I think I can get on deer based on what's in the forecast, I'll get in the woods and figure the rest out later. So if I were in your shoes, and pretty confident an animal I would take is using that bedding area, I'd hunt now.
Thesouthpaw
500 Club

Unread postby Thesouthpaw » Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:28 am

I would say it depends on the weather conditions. If you have the conditions that you think you'll be able to kill one, then by all means go tomorrow. This time of year can be absolute dynamite if the temps are below average.
Anything worth doing, is worth over doing.
milkweed-militia
500 Club

Unread postby milkweed-militia » Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:35 am

Drenalin wrote:I'm in Northeast TN, and I would say my best hunting is typically in mid to late November. I save a few days of vacation so I can take the whole week of Thanksgiving off, which is good some years and a week too late other years. I have a few other days of vacation leftover, which I burn as soon as I see weather or wind conditions coming in that I want to hunt. I have no restraint...if I think I can get on deer based on what's in the forecast, I'll get in the woods and figure the rest out later. So if I were in your shoes, and pretty confident an animalI would take is using that bedding area, I'd hunt now.

That is the part that I'm unsure of. I've got pictures of one big 10 point with some trash on his bases, but also some picture of some basket 8 points. They are inconsistent in the camera location, but could be consistent in the bedding area. The question of the day is which buck is using it? I don't want to be thinking come mid-November, "Man, I wish I would've saved that day".

One thing is for certain....... I need more vacation days!
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:58 am

Where I am hunting, Oct 26 is the day I'd choose. Oct 26-Oct 31 has been my best hunting on this piece.

It boils down to this - do you feel confident? If not, work and take another day off. I'm hunting tomorrow and feel very confident.
Swampbuck

Unread postby Swampbuck » Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:20 am

I think you are not allotting your vacation days properly and should take both :lol:

Another option is to hunt tomorrow and if that regret day in November comes around I'm sure it will make you sick. Sick enough for a sick day :lol:
Make It Happen
vtbuck
500 Club

Unread postby vtbuck » Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:23 am

I see a lot of sick days in your future! Lol
Perfection is a dream, practice is hard work, and achieving a goal is making that goal a reality.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:57 am

If a storm is moving in tomorrow afternoon or evening - then I would say YES
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
milkweed-militia
500 Club

Unread postby milkweed-militia » Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:16 am

I'm going to work so I don't have to use the vacation day, and I'm going to leave early so I can take advantage of the wind change and rain to try and get in tight to the bed I found. Sort of a win win I think.

I'm going to save the day for closer to Thanksgiving (when there is usually A LOT of activity in this area).

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”