Rain gear

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Brandonkinchen
500 Club
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/brandon.kinchen.1?ref=bookmarks

Rain gear

Unread postby Brandonkinchen » Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:12 am

I'm headed to Missouri in two weeks and the 15 day forecast is calling for lots of rain. I'm looking to buy some new/better rain gear than I have now. I was wondering what you guys use. The stuff I have now is good while standing but when you sit the water goes right through the pants. I'm looking for something non insulated so I can use it even when it's hot.

"The archer is the true weapon; the bow is just a long piece of wood." -Sebastien de Castell
MN_DeerHunter
500 Club

Re: Rain gear

Unread postby MN_DeerHunter » Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:31 am

Cabela’s space rain jacket and pants. Works great for slipping on and off quickly. I would not advise stalking through heavy brush with it as the material is thin.

I wore it out elk hunting this year almost daily because of sporadic rain and it kept me dry.
milkweed-militia
500 Club
Facebook: Ross Brawner

Unread postby milkweed-militia » Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:51 am

I've got some Cabela's rain suede bibs with Scent Lok :doh: that I got in the bargain cave for 25$ and a Cabela's gor tex rain jacket with Scent Lok :doh: that I got for 49$ in the bargain cave. They both work great but the bibs seem to shine a little more than the jacket. I think the bibs were older since they've got the older Scent Lok logo all over the liner and the jacket has the newer logo. I've sat in a couple of complete downpours this year. The jacket doesn't do great around the cuffs. The bibs kept me completely dry even when sitting down. It looks like they've faded a lot of the Cabela's brand stuff out, so I'm not sure how easy it would be to find. It's also extremely quiet.

I looked for two years for good rain gear before I bought these. I couldn't pay full price for anything. That stuff is high!
WMAn

Unread postby WMAn » Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:00 am

Rivers West Fleece
Thesouthpaw
500 Club

Unread postby Thesouthpaw » Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:31 am

Cabelas makes pretty good stuff.
Anything worth doing, is worth over doing.
JShea

Unread postby JShea » Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:10 am

WMAn wrote:Rivers West Fleece

I'll second that. Have a set I use all the time for 10 years now.
Drenalin
500 Club

Unread postby Drenalin » Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:28 am

When I was in the Marines, we transitioned from the old ponchos to the gore-tex parka and pants. I hated that crap, was always wet and cold under it. The only rain gear I've worn in the last 12 years was a Columbia jacket that I took the liner out of and a Frogg Toggs jacket I wore on a construction site. I only tried each one once, and hated them. I'd rather be wet than wear rain gear, but I'd say that's not for everyone.
Swampbuck

Unread postby Swampbuck » Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:29 am

I use the rivers west jacket and some thin rivets west pants
Make It Happen
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:53 am

Just went out and tried to score a pair of rain pants - tomorrow is gonna be a wet day in the stand.

Have the Gander Mountain breathable raincoat and it is great. Should have gotten the matching pants... :doh:

Do have a pair of frog toggs pants so that's what I'll wear. Just noisy, so no moving around. Glad it is a gun hunt.

Want to get a pair of quiet, breathable rain pants...
briar
500 Club

Unread postby briar » Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:02 am

As long as it's Gore Tex it's usually been pretty good to me. The Cabela's mto 50 is really nice stuff. Sometimes if it's really wet I'll wear double layers of Gore Tex. It's as dry as I've found!
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:30 am

JShea wrote:
WMAn wrote:Rivers West Fleece

I'll second that. Have a set I use all the time for 10 years now.

X3
Babscanes

Unread postby Babscanes » Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:12 am

I have some cabelas rain stuff, the real packable stuff its pretty good. If you can use it I would highly recommend a tree umbrella. I use mine all the time and its in more important to me than anything. very packable and keeps you dry on even the worst days. Get that and a pair of rain pants and call it a day. you wont regret it.
Tsom
500 Club

Unread postby Tsom » Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:30 am

I have LL Bean stowaway pants and coat. They are gore Tex and work well. Theu pack down real small into their own pockets. They aren't cheap though!
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:35 am

I've used high dollar rain gear and regular rain gear and you definitely get what you pay for...

However, A simple Tree umbrella works better than anything when combined with even a mid grade rain suit. It simply keep more off your head and clothing.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”