should i bump and dump tomorrow

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

ghoasthunter
500 Club

should i bump and dump tomorrow

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:45 pm

well i blew it tonight in the mountains i went in too hunt a point and blew out 3 shooters. the place is absolutely torn up with sign right now scrapes rubs and lots of does. should i get right back in morning and hit them now. driving out the deer were cruising everyplace. the bucks did not really blast off like a rocket i dont think they know what bumped them. this spot has not been hit yet this year. i cant make up my mind and keep goofing up so ill let someone else decide lol.

THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
crankn101
500 Club

Re: should i bump and dump tomorrow

Unread postby crankn101 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:50 pm

Personally, I would slip back in tomorrow afternoon.

Im in ti hear what others have to say.
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:57 pm

crankn101 wrote:Personally, I would slip back in tomorrow afternoon.

one thing that im worried about with that is my scent is all over where the deer will want too lay with the wind. i have a real good feeling the deer will be getting in late tomorrow. i just feel once they get my ground scent its game over.
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:14 pm

ghoasthunter wrote:

one thing that im worried about with that is my scent is all over where the deer will want too lay with the wind. i have a real good feeling the deer will be getting in late tomorrow. i just feel once they get my ground scent its game over.

Yeah the moon is full or just about there. They should be late in the morning. My vote is for a morning hunt before they can smell your ground scent from today.
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:05 pm

matt1336 wrote:
ghoasthunter wrote:

Yeah the moon is full or just about there. They should be late in the morning. My vote is for a morning hunt before they can smell your ground scent from today.
going in for the kill will update when i get back in tonight
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:11 pm

ghoasthunter wrote:
matt1336 wrote:
ghoasthunter wrote:

going in for the kill will update when i get back in tonight

Good luck!!
Thesouthpaw
500 Club

Unread postby Thesouthpaw » Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:25 am

If it was in farm country, I would say go right back. But since you said that it was in the mountains, there is a good chance that they wont be back in that same area for awhile. There is food and cover for them everywhere, so it is hard to tell when they'll come back to where you bumped them.
Anything worth doing, is worth over doing.
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:18 am

well it was worth a shot all i saw was a big fat porcupine checked cam ive had setup in staging area exiting the point have about 10 does using the top and 9 different bucks over the last 3 months 4 are shooters rest are spikes and fork horns. im going too try it again in a couple weeks all of the deer trails leading from bedding on north east and south side wind up in one spot where im running my cameras. hard part about the spot is the deer are bedding on a wrapping bench on the point that is lower down so all the exit trails come up hill on exit. its a thermal nightmare prob why the deer love it. the deer are bedding right near big boulders most of the time. some of the places they are bedding it even looks like they are sitting facing up hill and using the heavy thermals from big cliffs as there back wind and watching up the hill. too hunt these beds individually i would have too really play the edge of there wind. but every bed that holds the bigger buck sign also exits up hill in a slight depression so thermals will pool near the beds. travel up too staging is over 200 yards on most sections also. one good thing is staging does have a lot of daylight picks i checked the dates in relation too the wind and one thing was common. all daylight pics were on calm almost no wind days tough too get at high elevation. what i think is happening is the bucks are bedding higher up on point those days the wind tunnel is literally moving 100 yards farther up and setting on the main military crest. anything over 10 mph winds and the staging is getting night picks.
AfootTrack56

Unread postby AfootTrack56 » Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:20 am

It’s always worth a try. Too bad it didn’t work out this time. Sounds like you’ve figured out the conditions they like for that spot. Keep us posted on your next venture in there.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”