Big Woods Set Up Help

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Dimefox

Big Woods Set Up Help

Unread postby Dimefox » Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:11 am

Been lurking for awhile now trying to learn as much as I can. Finally broke down and decided to ask for some help. I blindly scouted this area in early Sept and found a few rubs and a scrape on the eastern most point. Red dots are approx. scrape locations. At that time, the point to the west didn't have much sign but looked promising. The black is a little stand of white pine 2-10' tall. The green stuff on the main ridge is to indicate some undergrowth of striped maple, not terribly thick but reduces visibility to maybe 10-15 yards when you're in there. The yellow line on the saddle is all the further west I got since I ran out of time that day. I hunted this past weekend in the rain and there was a good deal of fresh rubs around the stand of little white pines. Bumped a few doe at the head of the draw between the points with rubs. Hunted both points and didn't see anything. Didn't see any fresh sign on the eastern most point.

This is all big woods, no farms or anything nearby. No clear cuts or blow downs. The ridge is loaded with oak, cherry and hickory and the crop seems pretty good this year making it more difficult. Prevailing wind is typically out of the west, which is nice because access is from the east (you can see the road in the lower right corner of the picture. I have a pretty good feeling that the buck making those rubs is a shooter...rubs fairly high off of the ground, several of them were on larger (1"+ diameter) white pines that were snapped in half and rubbed top to bottom.

Where would you expect the buck bed(s) to be/what area would you try to focus on?

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”