Rain....

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

briar
500 Club

Rain....

Unread postby briar » Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:27 am

After scouting a remote area this spring I was very excited to at least make one sit there this fall. The #1 issue with the spot is it requires an East wind. I'm getting my with this weekend but it's coming with all day rain. We can't hunt on Sunday here, and it's too far for a weekday Sprint and my chances of an East wind are slim to none again. It's a briar nightmare the first 300 yards so I don't want my rain gear shredded.

Any tips on staying dry enough to withstand the sit? If I get wet in a high of 45 I'll never make it. Thanks!

Rich M
500 Club

Re: Rain....

Unread postby Rich M » Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:41 am

Wool and some of the synthetic fabrics will stay warm when wet. Cotton is a no-go.

You could always carry an extra set of clothes or another set of rain gear - wear the cheap one into the briers.
AfootTrack56

Unread postby AfootTrack56 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:43 am

Sounds like you might have to get wet. Or bring a change of clothes and your rain gear in a backpack or something they won’t get wet in on the walk in. Change out of the wet clothes and into your dry stuff and rain gear then make your final approach and set up dry and warm. It’s extra weight, but it may be worth not being cold and wet. Wool would be a good idea as well.
briar
500 Club

Unread postby briar » Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:52 am

Thanks guys. I guess this just might be one of those suck it up moments!! I got some old stuff I can wear in, then pack the good stuff. I have lots of wool for layering.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:02 am

I wear River's West rain gear and that material is tough. Wouldn't worry about tearing it up in briars. My Cabela's Space Rain suit is lighter and more packable but would never survive that stuff. I like that one for packing in for rain that will come after I'm already on stand.
briar
500 Club

Unread postby briar » Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:28 am

I don't get too worked up about much, but this spot feels worth the effort.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”