Aspen/poplar and 3.5+ year old bucks

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

LFpublicskill

Aspen/poplar and 3.5+ year old bucks

Unread postby LFpublicskill » Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:59 am

I have to admit to enjoying hunting young cuts of aspen. In the past, I've often sought these places out for grouse hunting. They are usually productive for grouse, and I would always see lots of deer sign. I'm talking about aspen you can't hang a stand in, and when you walk through it you are swimming more than walking. I know how to find these areas, and have planned some of my stands around them being bedding areas. I've also seen alot of rubs and scrapes running through these areas on the larger travel routes. I've been spending more time after deer, and I have to admit to a preference for these areas because it seemed natural to me to hunt similar areas to where I hunt grouse.

My hunting partner and I have been debating the value of these areas. I think they could make great older buck bedding habitat because they keep out other hunters and hide deer so well. He thinks the older bucks will avoid them because its too tough to get their antlers through the tight spaces. He thinks i should stop thinking of them as buck beds and think of them as young buck/doe bedding. The big bucks will look for something like cattails where their antlers arent such a bither.

I am open to persuasion on the point. Just looking for thoughts/suggestions.

FrigidArrows77

Re: Aspen/poplar and 3.5+ year old bucks

Unread postby FrigidArrows77 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:16 am

The 150 acre chunk of private I used to hunt had 30 acre stand of mature poplar cut in the center. After about 2-3 years of regrowth, the number of deer bedded on that property about tripled. There is no doubt aspen cuts hold deer.

Regarding mature bucks, their numbers climbed as well. However, the majority that bedded on the property were on the outskirts, or in the vicinity in some other low/thick area. I think the biggest reason for the increased mature buck sightings, which were typically around mid October and on, were more related to the increased number of does.

I did see mature bucks come out of the cuts a few times though, but here is the kick. Every spring we maintained trails and micro bowls through the cut. Creating different bedding locations for bucks, which I'm sure they used from time to time, especially during the rut. I also know for a fact they bedded on the outskirts of the cut where it meets hardwoods.
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:20 am

FrigidArrows77 wrote:The 150 acre chunk of private I used to hunt had 30 acre stand of mature poplar cut in the center. After about 2-3 years of regrowth, the number of deer bedded on that property about tripled. There is no doubt aspen cuts hold deer.

Regarding mature bucks, their numbers climbed as well. However, the majority that bedded on the property were on the outskirts, or in the vicinity in some other low/thick area. I think the biggest reason for the increased mature buck sightings, which were typically around mid October and on, were more related to the increased number of does.

I did see mature bucks come out of the cuts a few times though, but here is the kick. Every spring we maintained trails and micro bowls through the cut. Creating different bedding locations for bucks, which I'm sure they used from time to time, especially during the rut. I also know for a fact they bedded on the outskirts of the cut where it meets hardwoods.

Same here. Especially when I find them on a bench and it doesn’t have to be at the military crest.

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
LFpublicskill

Unread postby LFpublicskill » Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:11 am

FrigidArrows77 wrote:The 150 acre chunk of private I used to hunt had 30 acre stand of mature poplar cut in the center. After about 2-3 years of regrowth, the number of deer bedded on that property about tripled. There is no doubt aspen cuts hold deer.

Interesting. Thank you for the responses.
Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:40 am

There is one that is about 20 years old now on a property I have hunted the whole time so have been able to watch it progress. I echo the sentiment that it almost imemdiately increased bedding on the property. My scouting has also shown that the bigger bucks preferred to use the edges or strategic more accessible locations. Seeing more internal use now as it ages. Tracks should tell you if the ones you're targeting are getting mature buck bedding. If nothing else they will hold does like velcro and be great spots to target during the pre-rut/rut.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:10 am

The deer absolutely love them, crazy thick, usually no large trees and plenty of food all mixed into one. With bedding things get a little more complex, does and small bucks for sure will bed in and around them. I find older bucks are a little more picky, they don't just plop down anywhere. If the area with new poplar has a good bedding area for bucks then the popular will make that area even better, however the poplars alone aren't enough to pull them into a location, there has to be a good hill bed, beaver dam, point or swamp transition for them to bed there. As usual if the area gets less pressure it will be even better.
LFpublicskill

Unread postby LFpublicskill » Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:46 pm

Thank you for the advice. It sounds like we were both partially right.
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:10 pm

headgear wrote:The deer absolutely love them, crazy thick, usually no large trees and plenty of food all mixed into one. With bedding things get a little more complex, does and small bucks for sure will bed in and around them. I find older bucks are a little more picky, they don't just plop down anywhere. If the area with new poplar has a good bedding area for bucks then the popular will make that area even better, however the poplars alone aren't enough to pull them into a location, there has to be a good hill bed, beaver dam, point or swamp transition for them to bed there. As usual if the area gets less pressure it will be even better.

This and once the rut kicks in they will cruse the edges of the cuts. My favorite cuts are the ones that are older and too thick to hunt from a stand. the deer know that no one is hunting there anymore and bed there because of lack of pressure. newer cuts get hunted hard by both deer and bird hunters. big bucks will only come to these in the night.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”