First Beast Kill!

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

JTH

First Beast Kill!

Unread postby JTH » Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:15 pm

I hunted a steep ridge yesterday 10/21/2018 that I had scouted in the past and located bedding on some of the thick points of this ridge. I had hunted the area in the years past but always came in from the top and dropped down off a gravel road which the bedding butts up to.

I would always drop down and hunt a stand I already had pre hung with the wind in my face blowing back up the ridge towards the road. Hunted like this for years until discovering this gold mind of knowledge called The Hunting Beast.

This ridge is a south facing ridge so I would always hunt it on a northerly wind. I had this stand hung on what appeared to be a heavily used trail about 1/3 of the way down the ridge not having a clue about wind tunnels which all started clicking after being exposed to all this knowledge. I would always see small bucks but never what I would consider a shooter.

I would hunt the same stand probably 5-6 times a year within a 3 week time period just putting in my so called “time” thinking sooner or later a good one will come through but of course he never did.

I hunted this ridge last year and came in from the side and hung my XOP stand and sticks below the bedding with my thermals dropping. Seen a doe and two fawns and that was it but considered it a success being they were well within bow range and had gotten close to there beds. That was the only time I set that ridge last year.

Moving forward to yesterday evening. I drove my truck in the entry of this property, as the entrance is low and the ridge with bedding is set up like a snipers nest for bucks. They can literally see everything that comes in and out of this property. I drove in and passed on by and parked where I usually do. I got my stand on my back and got out of sight of the ridge. I then circled back and came in on a 45 degree angle easing my way up the ridge walking a few yards and stopping and listening.

This ridge is steep enough you have to basically grab trees and pull your way up through the laurels. I finally reached a point to where I could barely see one of the points with the northerly wind blowing over the top of the ridge, with knowledge that the thermals would soon be dropping to the creek below me.

I noticed a logging road above me about 20 yards and picked out a tree in a lower spot of the ridge. I then plotted my access to the tree and began sneaking to it. I finally reached it and realized I wasn’t going to be able to get but about 2 sticks high. I quietly set up and got settled in. I looked down the road bed to my left and noticed a fresh scrape at about 25 yards.

About 5 minutes later (4:45 PM) I heard walking coming from the bedding down the road bed. All of a sudden a nice looking 110 inch 8 pointer walks into the scrape and starts working the licking branch. He then moved on and a bigger 8 pointer came in and worked the scrape. He turned as I drew my bow but was quartering to me to much for a shot. The two bucks then took a trail to my left quartering to me once again not giving me a shot. I then heard another deer walking towards me and another nice 8 appeared and began working the scrape. This one wasn’t as lucky and turned broadside as he worked the scrape. I buried my top pin in the crease of his shoulder and let it fly. He took off in the same direction as the two previous bucks as I lost sight of him.

As I set there listening I heard more walking as two other smaller 8 pointers appeared and also worked this scrape. I then heard a crash in the area where the buck I had shot ran. I figured he was trying to make his way to the creek below which I had to wade with hip waders. I waited a little over an hour and quietly tore my stand down.

I started down the trail he took and seen my lighted nock and part of my arrow which had broken off. I began tracking him and reached the spot where it appeared he had fallen off of a 10 ft rock cliff down to the creek. I scooted down the ridge on my but, sliding down to the laurels he had broken off while falling. Shortly after I found him about 20 yards from the creek.

This was my first buck Hunting Beast style and I cannot express how thankful I am to the guys on here who pour out there years of experience and knowledge. I owe a huge thank you the Big Buck Serial Killer himself Dan Infalt for changing my approach to hunting. I’ve been hunting for 25 years and have killed some decent bucks but most were by luck I’m sure.

It’s a good feeling to put in the time scouting and have confidence that there is a buck bedded there. For you to sneak in to his bedroom and kill him. That my friends isn’t luck.

https://chroma.tryprism.com/photos/5bce ... redirect=1
Whitetail | Deer

backstraps

Re: First Beast Kill!

Unread postby backstraps » Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:18 pm

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Congratulations and job well done!!
Bigburner

Unread postby Bigburner » Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:19 pm

Congrats to you. Nice shot!
Montani Semper Liberi
Instagram @formationoutdoors
JTH

Unread postby JTH » Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:22 pm

Whitetail | Deer from Carroll County on 22 October 2018 by Jason Helton

https://huntmore.fieldguide.ai/figure/5 ... 4b4/detail
Wildland Outsider

Unread postby Wildland Outsider » Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:25 pm

Nice buck man! Hopefully within the next couple of weeks and I can pump out an awesome story like this! Good job! Congratulations!
HunterBob
500 Club

Unread postby HunterBob » Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:29 pm

Wow, looks like a big ole mature buck for sure. Well done!
Motivated
500 Club

Unread postby Motivated » Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:35 pm

:clap: Great job and great bick!
Work hard, stay humble, be kind.
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:37 pm

Congrats, good one
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
Forkhorn

Unread postby Forkhorn » Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:40 pm

Nice job JTH!! Cool story on a great buck
JTH

Unread postby JTH » Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:54 pm

JTH wrote:Whitetail | Deer from Carroll County on 22 October 2018 by Jason Helton

https://huntmore.fieldguide.ai/figure/5 ... 4b4/detail

Here are more pictures. Sorry still haven’t got posting pictures down.
hunter10
500 Club

Unread postby hunter10 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:12 pm

Congrats! Nice buck
timberninja

Unread postby timberninja » Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:50 pm

Great story and great buck!
JTH

Unread postby JTH » Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:08 pm

JTH wrote:I hunted a steep ridge yesterday 10/21/2018 that I had scouted in the past and located bedding on some of the thick points of this ridge. I had hunted the area in the years past but always came in from the top and dropped down off a gravel road which the bedding butts up to.

I would always drop down and hunt a stand I already had pre hung with the wind in my face blowing back up the ridge towards the road. Hunted like this for years until discovering this gold mind of knowledge called The Hunting Beast.

This ridge is a south facing ridge so I would always hunt it on a northerly wind. I had this stand hung on what appeared to be a heavily used trail about 1/3 of the way down the ridge not having a clue about wind tunnels which all started clicking after being exposed to all this knowledge. I would always see small bucks but never what I would consider a shooter.

I would hunt the same stand probably 5-6 times a year within a 3 week time period just putting in my so called “time” thinking sooner or later a good one will come through but of course he never did.

I hunted this ridge last year and came in from the side and hung my XOP stand and sticks below the bedding with my thermals dropping. Seen a doe and two fawns and that was it but considered it a success being they were well within bow range and had gotten close to there beds. That was the only time I set that ridge last year.

Moving forward to yesterday evening. I drove my truck in the entry of this property, as the entrance is low and the ridge with bedding is set up like a snipers nest for bucks. They can literally see everything that comes in and out of this property. I drove in and passed on by and parked where I usually do. I got my stand on my back and got out of sight of the ridge. I then circled back and came in on a 45 degree angle easing my way up the ridge walking a few yards and stopping and listening.

This ridge is steep enough you have to basically grab trees and pull your way up through the laurels. I finally reached a point to where I could barely see one of the points with the northerly wind blowing over the top of the ridge, with knowledge that the thermals would soon be dropping to the creek below me.

I noticed a logging road above me about 20 yards and picked out a tree in a lower spot of the ridge. I then plotted my access to the tree and began sneaking to it. I finally reached it and realized I wasn’t going to be able to get but about 2 sticks high. I quietly set up and got settled in. I looked down the road bed to my left and noticed a fresh scrape at about 25 yards.

About 5 minutes later (4:45 PM) I heard walking coming from the bedding down the road bed. All of a sudden a nice looking 110 inch 8 pointer walks into the scrape and starts working the licking branch. He then moved on and a bigger 8 pointer came in and worked the scrape. He turned as I drew my bow but was quartering to me to much for a shot. The two bucks then took a trail to my left quartering to me once again not giving me a shot. I then heard another deer walking towards me and another nice 8 appeared and began working the scrape. This one wasn’t as lucky and turned broadside as he worked the scrape. I buried my top pin in the crease of his shoulder and let it fly. He took off in the same direction as the two previous bucks as I lost sight of him.

As I set there listening I heard more walking as two other smaller 8 pointers appeared and also worked this scrape. I then heard a crash in the area where the buck I had shot ran. I figured he was trying to make his way to the creek below which I had to wade with hip waders. I waited a little over an hour and quietly tore my stand down.

I started down the trail he took and seen my lighted nock and part of my arrow which had broken off. I began tracking him and reached the spot where it appeared he had fallen off of a 10 ft rock cliff down to the creek. I scooted down the ridge on my but, sliding down to the laurels he had broken off while falling. Shortly after I found him about 20 yards from the creek.

This was my first buck Hunting Beast style and I cannot express how thankful I am to the guys on here who pour out there years of experience and knowledge. I owe a huge thank you the Big Buck Serial Killer himself Dan Infalt for changing my approach to hunting. I’ve been hunting for 25 years and have killed some decent bucks but most were by luck I’m sure.

It’s a good feeling to put in the time scouting and have confidence that there is a buck bedded there. For you to sneak in to his bedroom and kill him. That my friends isn’t luck.

https://chroma.tryprism.com/photos/5bce ... redirect=1
Whitetail | Deer

Meant to type southerly wind not northerly.
Drenalin
500 Club

Unread postby Drenalin » Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:11 pm

Great buck JTH! Congrats!
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:14 pm

congrats!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”