Moon phase prefferences?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

oldman
Facebook: Don Shulka

Moon phase prefferences?

Unread postby oldman » Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:17 pm

I've never really played a lot of attention to moon phase and it's corresponding influence on deer movement. I have little free time to hunt between work and family so I generally just hunt any free minute that I can. What are your thoughts on movement in relationship to moon? Is there more movement in a certain phase and less in another? How about as season progresses? Is moon phase more critical at different times of the season?

Slawdog

Re: Moon phase prefferences?

Unread postby Slawdog » Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:09 pm

Multiple theories out there. For me and my observation over 30 years of actually paying attention and recording data my best days for seeing deer are on the quarters. Full moon is ok and I usually do not hunt the new moon because I rarely see deer on the new moon. Always prefer the moon to be as close to 12 and 6 but a rising moon is good to me as well.

However, I have just started hunting beast style over the past couple of years. Up until now I have hunted transition and food. So my observations may be useless in hunting the beds. My sightings up until this point have never included bedding movement. I have a clean slate it looks .

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”