hunting with Light and Variable Winds

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Bigb
500 Club

hunting with Light and Variable Winds

Unread postby Bigb » Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:12 am

So with work and family, I'm finally able to get out of town this weekend for a few days of hunting. Winds all weekend seem to be light and variable (looks like the max is 5 mph but some times none at all) and just seeing what people do when they have this conditions. I hunt hill country with ag on the tops and bottoms. I'm debating on either sitting on leeward sides with the forecasted ever so slight breeze or trying to figure out another idea since the winds are so light to non existent. Forecasted has E winds in it which is a RARE wind this time of year. Crops (corn) is most likely still going to be in which does stink because I have a great east wind cruising leeward spot but with corn in, the approach kills that spot. Just seeing what everyone else does with no wind. Thanks!

RidgeGhost
500 Club

Re: hunting with Light and Variable Winds

Unread postby RidgeGhost » Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:24 am

Ive been trying to figure this one out myself. So far, my theory is hunt the leeward side for the predicted wind OR hunt high on a point expecting thermals to be the dominant factor.

Update this thread with what you find as I'm curious to know.
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:07 am

I am faced with this same scenario maybe 60-70% of my season

In hill country you have to know what the thermals are doing with that light variable wind

Its tough enough with a nice steady consistent 7-8 mph but man light and variable bites

I dont get wnough hunting days to pick and choose so I hunt on days I can

Light and variable in hill country I climb high and hunt leeward. Intry to hunt the ateeper portions of leeward where the wind tunnel doesn’t shift up and down the elevation as bad
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:27 am

Light and variable in mountains I hunt up high with rising thermals and prefer an east SE or south facing slope to really take advantage of thermals. I don’t worry with leeward or windward. If it’s truly variable wind then there really is no leeward or windward...
Some do. Some don't. I just might...
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:07 pm

i normally hunt leeward sides the slower the wind the higher the wind tunnel is going to be. even with light winds the mature bucks are going to want too use the wind tunnels most of the time. sometimes the wind tunnel can be all the way up top in light winds. if you ever get real heavy winds the bucks will travel lower. every day in the hills and mountains you might need too adjust your altitude too see buck travel. this is also why you find more rubs along cliffs and steep grades the wind tunnel is more consistent in these setups.
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”