Need help

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BWW05
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/brandon.willoughby.1466

Need help

Unread postby BWW05 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:55 pm

So I just recently signed up on this website. Ive been reading and studying for some time now and finally decided to join. There is lots of good info on this forum. I need some help with this particular spot I have. So as you can see from the pics I have basically an entire cove to my self. My problem is limited access at the moment. My access points are the green circles. There is also a gated community on the right side of the pic that I would love to gain an access point from. I tried to access this area from the bottom but a guy has a small piece of property at the end of the road and has it gated off. I talked to a game warden and he told me the road is a land owners road and can't be gated off like that. I haven't pressed the issue on the guy yet but I may have to so I can access it from the bottom. This is some very steep terrain. With the Access I have now I can only hunt this with a South wind. I'm running several cameras on trails, salt licks, the pond. Im getting lots of pics of does and a few good bucks. There is also a waterfall beside the green circle on the left that has a trail with a few big bucks using it. One of them is an easy 150 inch deer. I would like to hear from you guys about where you guys would place stands based on the topo. Seems like the deer bed across the second bench down on the ridge. It's very easy to bump them off their bed going in. I'm not sure if it's buck bedding. Also I have very few pics of the big buck in daylight. Thanks for any input!

BWW05

Re: Need help

Unread postby BWW05 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:54 pm

Come on guys I'm sure someone has some input on hunting an area like this.
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:44 pm

On a South to a sW wind, your small green circle access point would certainly hold buck bedding on it around the 1600 elevation
If you could cheat the wind getting in and set up undetected. The draw to the east of that point should also have a visible and highly used crossing point, probably also around 1500–1600 elevation

The three cuts on the south portion, the benches coming off those cuts I would think has some bedding,scrapes and rubs on.

There looks to be several spots to check, but for now this time of year, id focus on hunting the leeward side above the wind tunnel
BWW05

Unread postby BWW05 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:24 pm

Thanks for the advice. I plan on putting boots on the ground during the spring trying to figure things out. I don't understand how to tell the difference in a buck bed from a doe bed. It is very steep rough terrain. I find it very hard to pattern a deer in such terrain.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”