Northern Wisconsin Big Woods

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

PublicPounder

Re: Northern Wisconsin Big Woods

Unread postby PublicPounder » Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:21 am

Ognennyy wrote:
PublicPounder wrote:I found two cedar swamp areas that I plan to pick apart this weekend, but as for that I think the rest of the area gets pressured.

Backing up a few posts NorthwoodsWiscoHnter suggested you find pockets of does. This was great advice. Think about the timing of the season... we're on the doorstep of the rut right now both in your neck of the woods as well as mine (NY Adirondacks). If you find the does surely you will find bucks, because they're looking for does also.

brancher147 who has extensive experience hunting big woods mentioned that finding primary buck beds in the big woods can be difficult.

If you're going into those cedar swamps you mentioned hoping to find buck beds, you may want to reconsider your strategy. Those cedar swamps might be a great place to look for pockets of does during a multi-day stretch of rainy crappy weather, while deer are hiding in the thick cover.

My point is that several very seasoned and experienced hunters gave you great advice in this thread. I recommend re-reading the posts and re-thinking your strategy.

I wasn’t planning on looking for beds in the cedar swamps, I was mainly going to look for hot buck sign.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”