Encouragement for a Weekend Warrior

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

HunterBob
500 Club

Re: Encouragement for a Weekend Warrior

Unread postby HunterBob » Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:01 am

Thanks guys, I do feel good about having more spots for next year and feel that I am getting much better at scouting. I still have a month left, and do plan to hunt some of those beds, so we will see. I would be happy just to get some meat in the freezer at this point.

HunterBob
500 Club

Unread postby HunterBob » Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:10 am

This afternoon may be the only time I am able to get out for the next couple of weeks. We have cold and wet conditions here for like the tenth day in a row. Someone tell me to get out there because staying home is starting to sound rather nice...
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:42 pm

HunterBob wrote:This afternoon may be the only time I am able to get out for the next couple of weeks. We have cold and wet conditions here for like the tenth day in a row. Someone tell me to get out there because staying home is starting to sound rather nice...

Get out there!!!! :mrgreen:
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
HunterBob
500 Club

Unread postby HunterBob » Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:27 am

Well, I did get out and it was eventful. Had a chance at a buck, but he spotted me and was out of range before I could get my bow and get drawn on him. I did get to use my beast tactics though, which is the only reason I was on him.
Twenty Up
500 Club

Unread postby Twenty Up » Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:45 am

Now is the time to hunt those flooded river bottoms, deer are corralled and on a more patternable bedding to feeding pattern here, especially with this cold and wet weather.
Last edited by Twenty Up on Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Trust the Process~~ Lost Boys Outdoors ~~

YoutTube: https://youtube.com/channel/UC7TXknGut5WfZQ6CbddgqYg
Twenty Up
500 Club

Unread postby Twenty Up » Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:45 am

double post

HunterBob
500 Club

Unread postby HunterBob » Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:37 am

Twenty Up wrote:Now is the time to hunt those flooded river bottoms, deer are corralled and on a more patternable bedding to feeding pattern here, especially with this cold and wet weather.

Can you explain this more? I would have thought that the flooded river bottoms would push the deer to higher elevations?
Twenty Up
500 Club

Unread postby Twenty Up » Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:28 am

HunterBob wrote:
Twenty Up wrote:Now is the time to hunt those flooded river bottoms, deer are corralled and on a more patternable bedding to feeding pattern here, especially with this cold and wet weather.

Can you explain this more? I would have thought that the flooded river bottoms would push the deer to higher elevations?

This is what I was referring to, the deer bedded in the bottoms which get flooded are forced up higher and depending on water depth, it can funnel them in key areas.

What I saw scouting yesterday afternoon was that the deer were feeding on the privet hedge in the unflooded bottoms, which still held leaves where as the privet hedge in higher elevations began shedding its leaves. Tracks, fresh green droppings and the heavy browse on the hedge all determine this. (No AG area by the way)

The deer will cruise through privet hedge thickets and browse as they travel from bedding to fields or other destinations. They’ll also bed within certain thickets so determining exactly where they travel through these areas can be frustrating. But, with the water forcing them out, it creates a short window in which we have a chance at sticking one of these elusive swamp bucks.

Hope this helps

HunterBob
500 Club

Unread postby HunterBob » Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:28 am

Twenty Up wrote:
HunterBob wrote:

This is what I was referring to, the deer bedded in the bottoms which get flooded are forced up higher and depending on water depth, it can funnel them in key areas.

What I saw scouting yesterday afternoon was that the deer were feeding on the privet hedge in the unflooded bottoms, which still held leaves where as the privet hedge in higher elevations began shedding its leaves. Tracks, fresh green droppings and the heavy browse on the hedge all determine this. (No AG area by the way)

The deer will cruise through privet hedge thickets and browse as they travel from bedding to fields or other destinations. They’ll also bed within certain thickets so determining exactly where they travel through these areas can be frustrating. But, with the water forcing them out, it creates a short window in which we have a chance at sticking one of these elusive swamp bucks.

Hope this helps

Yes, helps a ton. This is exactly what I ended up hunting and setting up over yesterday. There is not ag in my area either, which makes locating food sources incredibly difficult. Thanks for the tip, I appreciate sharing the knowledge. Now I just need to find a time to get back out there...
Twenty Up
500 Club

Unread postby Twenty Up » Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:36 am

HunterBob wrote:
Twenty Up wrote:
HunterBob wrote:

Hope this helps

Yes, helps a ton. This is exactly what I ended up hunting and setting up over yesterday. There is not ag in my area either, which makes locating food sources incredibly difficult. Thanks for the tip, I appreciate sharing the knowledge. Now I just need to find a time to get back out there...

Yessir glad to help. I’ve seen late season in particular when most foliage is gone the deer with congregate lower in the bottoms where it’s still thick. Find the freshest sign and set up shop.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”