Anyone have success Hunting lake islands ? Just curious about your experience.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

MikerKulbeth

Re: Anyone have success Hunting lake islands ? Just curious about your experience.

Unread postby MikerKulbeth » Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:36 am

Following this one. My main public land area is COE land around a lake.
Jon308

Re: Anyone have success Hunting lake islands ? Just curious about your experience.

Unread postby Jon308 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:02 am

MikerKulbeth wrote:Following this one. My main public land area is COE land around a lake.

Yeah that’s what this is mostly duck hunting there.
MikerKulbeth

Unread postby MikerKulbeth » Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:08 am

last year, hunting this lake, my dad killed a decent buck on a 40 acre "island" . It has a land bridge in the winter so its not a full on island. But it seemed they were using the island to bed. He saw quite a few deer in that spot.
Jon308

Unread postby Jon308 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:15 am

MikerKulbeth wrote:last year, hunting this lake, my dad killed a decent buck on a 40 acre "island" . It has a land bridge in the winter so its not a full on island. But it seemed they were using the island to bed. He saw quite a few deer in that spot.

Make since theyd feel safe there most of the time. Most of the pressures probably from mainland. I know their is deer on the islands I’m hunting I’ve seen does and buck sign, just wondering if anyone had any tips on hunting them.
MikerKulbeth

Unread postby MikerKulbeth » Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:23 am

Glad you started this, been looking for info on buck bedding around lakes. hopefully some of the better hunters will chime in
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:45 am

Always think ESCAPE. If I a buck has to swim across a large body of water, deep water, it exposes them to danger and they typically wont bed there. Now if the island is large enough to where they can give the occasional hunter the slip perhaps..... but islands are seldom overlooked by hunters anymore IMO.
Jon308

Unread postby Jon308 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:47 am

DaveT1963 wrote:Always think ESCAPE. If I a buck has to swim across a large body of water, deep water, it exposes them to danger and they typically wont bed there. Now if the island is large enough to where they can give the occasional hunter the slip perhaps..... but islands are seldom overlooked by hunters anymore IMO.

40 to 200 acre islands some mainland spots too. Never seen many deer hunters.
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:35 am

then if there is fresh sign hunt it
Jon308

Unread postby Jon308 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:00 am

DaveT1963 wrote:then if there is fresh sign hunt it

Yup,gonna give it a try.
Slawdog

Unread postby Slawdog » Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:39 pm

Just started scouting and hunting bedding on public around a lake. Public has swamps and row crop as well so lots to digest. Almost all of the beds that me and the buddy that hunts with me there have found are right in the bank. The ones not on the bank are a few yards out into the lake in areas of the shore line that have small islands many of which are only the size of my living room.

The lake I hunt fluctuates in water level and they have started dropping the water to winter pool which starts exposing the muddy banks. Deer can see you coming across those mud flats in the wide open and the mud will suck you down to your crotch in some areas of the lake.

I have basically taken a combination of marsh and swamp tactics from Dan and applied them to the lake. It’s working like a charm. We just opened here in Alabama this week and i have only sat that public property once so far. Once I get a little more pressure from the lazy folks on the dry land I should be on them hard. I hope!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”